Posted by derriel welch on Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 7:55pm.
write an exponential decay model that describes the situation.
one hundred grams of plutonium is stored in a container.the amount p (in grams) of plutonium present after t years can be modeled by this equation.
hpw much plutonium is present after 20,000years
- algebra 4 - Damon, Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 8:08pm
you have a typo I think
The idea is that the amount lost per unit time is proportional to the amount present at each time
dp/dt = -k p
dp/p = -k dt
ln p = -kt
constant*p = e^(-kt)
find the constant when t = 0 so e^-kt = 1
p = 100 at t = 0
p = 100 e^-kt
so what you probably meant to type was that with k = .99997
p = 100e^-(.99997*20,000)
p = 0 on my calculator after 20,000 years
- algebra 4 - Reiny, Wednesday, February 18, 2009 at 8:51pm
or the equation was given as
p = 100(.99997)^t
for t = 20000, my calculator gave me
p = 54.88 g
As Damon pointed out, your equation as it stands makes little sense.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - _The_Natural_Base_e_ An accident in 1986 at the Chernobyl nuculear plant ...
- Calculus - The amount A in grams of radioactive plutonium remaining in a 20-gram...
- science - suppose you have 100grams of radioactive plutonium-239 with a half-...
- chemistry - You want to heat a satellite by radioactive decay of 238 plutonium. ...
- Physics - Draw a graph to show the decay of 32g of plutonium-241. Use the graph ...
- chemestry - Please answer the following THAT I CAN'T!!! Where is Plutonium found...
- Algebra - The amount of plutonium given in a sample is determined by the ...
- physics - The half-life of the plutonium isotope is 24,360 years. If 10 grams of...
- calculus - Question: "Plutonium isotope Pu-239 has a half-life of 24,100 years. ...
- Chemistry - a.) How much energy is emitted in each alpha decay of plutonium-234 ...