Posted by JYD on Sunday, September 7, 2008 at 12:51pm.
Wal-Mart, a discount store chain, is planning to build a new store in
Rock Springs, Maryland. The parcel of land the company owns is large
enough to accommodate a store with 140,000 square feet of floor space.
Based on marketing and demographic surveys of the area and historical
data from its other stores, Wal-Mart estimates its annual profit
contribution per square foot for each of the store's departments to be
as shown in the following table.
Department Profit contribution per ft2
Men's clothing $4.25
Women's clothing $5.10
Children's clothing $4.50
Auto supplies $3.80
Each department must have at least 15,000 ft2 of floor space and no
department can have more than 20% of the total retail floor space. Men's
women's and children's clothing plus housewares keep all their stock on
the retail floor; however, toys, electronics, and auto supplies keep
some items (bicycles, televisions, tires, etc.) in inventory. Thus, 10%
of the total retail floor space devoted to these three departments must
be set aside outside the retail area for stocking inventory.
Formulate a linear programming model that can be used to determine
the floor space that should be devoted to each department in order to
maximize profit contribution.
Answer this Question
- Business (Linear Programming) - Wal-Mart, a discount store chain, is planning to...
- finance - Home Builder Supply a retailer in the home improvement industry, ...
- economics - Suppose that the company Mama's Pies adds another store to sell its ...
- Operations Management - Wal-Mart is the largest corporation in the world, and it...
- Maths - Bill Ding plans to build a new hardware store. He buys a rectangular lot...
- Algebra - A business owner opens one store in town A. The equation p(x)=10,000(1...
- math - 24. two stores carry a similar stereo for the same original price of $573...
- marketing - The owner of a small hardware store-the only one in a medium –sized ...
- Marketing - The owner of a small hardware store---the only one in a medium-sized...
- 7th grade math Ms. Sue last two questions thanks - 15. In Store A, a book that ...