Posted by question didn't post? on Wednesday, October 24, 2007 at 10:23pm.
Discuss what functions of poetic writing the author of this poem is using? What is the poem expressing? Who is the speaker? Auditor? What is the rhyme scheme? Meter?
Homage to my hips
These hips are big hips
they need space to
move around in.
They don't fit in little
pretty place. These hips
are free hips.
They don't like to be held back.
These hips have never been enslaved,
they go where they want to go
they do what they want to do.
These hips are mighty hips.
These hips are magic hips.
I have known them
to put a spell on a man and
spin him like a top!
- POETRY - Writeacher, Thursday, October 25, 2007 at 8:18am
The speaker is clearly a woman.
The auditor? To whom do you think she's speaking?
There is no rhyme scheme other than repeating the word "hips" at the ends of lines 1, 2, 6, 7, 12, and 13.
There is also no particular meter. To have an identifiable meter, there have to be the same number of syllables in each line, and the pattern of stressed and unstressed syllables needs to be clear.
This particular poem is in a form known as "free verse" -- http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/lausd/resources/Literary.Terms.2.html#Free%20Verse
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Ed Tech - What is rhyme scheme? A. The stressed and unstressed syllables within ...
- Poetry Help~! - 1) Which definition below best describes the definition of theme...
- Poetry - I need a poem that contains at least six of the poetic devices listed ...
- poetry - I need a poem that contains at least six of the poetic devices listed ...
- English - 1. Dialectical poetry is poetry that a uses a unique rhyme scheme and ...
- english - Which of the following phrases best defines rhythm? Repeated sounds ...
- English 11 - Not sure: Which of the following phrases best defines rhythm? (1 ...
- English - Can you please check if the word choice is correct and if the words in...
- english - When mapping out a poem's rhyme scheme and the poem exceeds the amount...
- creative writing - 1. Poetry that is short in length and focuses on feelings ...