Posted by harry on Monday, November 6, 2006 at 8:59pm.
write the equation for copper(II) sulfate pentahydrate and ammonium sulfate forming:
not sure how to balance it
Check your question very carefully. Is this a question given to you by a teacher?
yeah it is in a lab
CuSO4.5H2O + (NH4)2
Note a water is missing on the left side, if you really need 6H2O on the right, you will have to add H2O to the left.
so would this be a redox reaction
What do you think is oxidized and reduced?
No. Where did you get that idea?
the product would be oxidized?
I don't see any element that has changed oxidation state.
Cu is +2 on the left and right.
S is +6 on left and right.
O is -2 on left and right.
N is -3 on left and right.
I think it is only fair to point out that I have taught chemistry for almost 50 years and I never heard of Cu(NH4)2(SO4)2. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist and I may have overlooked something in your question (or I may have overlooke something in these last several years). But I hope we have helped you. Thanks for using the Jiska help site.
i really need a suggestion here.
how about this:
NH3 + CuSO4*5H2O = Cu(NH3)4SO4*H2O
You need to be more specific about the kind of suggestion for which you are looking. And yes, CuSO4*5H2O + NH3 will produce Cu(NH3)4SO4 + H2O but it won't do it with (NH4)2SO4. Sometimes (NH4)2SO4 is added to CuSO4 BEFORE NH3 is added in order to keep Cu(OH)2 from forming upon the initial addition of NH3.
so how would i balance the second equation i sent iN?
I don't undersand why we are playing "twenty questions" here. You could tell us what you did at the get go? As for balancing, surely you can balance that last equation. However, IF that is the equation you want balanced, a hint is to add 4NH3. You can take it from there.
i am wondering what reasonable values would be for the x in the formula [Cu(NH3)x]SO4*H2O
WOULD YOU PLEASE GET ME MORE RESULT ABOUT NEW RESEARCH
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - write a net ionic equation for the following: Copper (II) sulfate ...
- Chemistry - In a lab, we added NH3(aq) to CuSO4(aq), and the solution turned ...
- Chemistry - If 0.273 moles of ferrous ammonium sulfate (Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2 . 6H2O) ...
- chemistry - DrBob222 - For this question can u please explain steps 3 and 4 4.0 ...
- Science - If .275 moles of ferrous ammonium sulfate (Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2. 6H2O) and ...
- Molar Mass Question - Hello, I have been asked to find the molar mass of ferrous...
- chemistry - pure zinc metal into a solution of copper(II) sulfate, the zinc will...
- chemistry - A student is asked to prepare 250.0 mL of 3.5 M copper (II) sulfate ...
- Chemistry - I need to write the total ionic equation for this equation. Copper(...
- Chemistry to DrBob - Dr. bob could you please check this work cus i can't seem ...