Posted by Oscar on Tuesday, September 26, 2006 at 9:08pm.
FIve years ago Zack would have been three times older than his young brother but five years from now he will only be two times older than his brother. How old is his brother?
In other words let x= brothers age so:
I thought it might help to see the process. Five years ago, his age would be X-5. Five years from now, it will be X+5. Can you see how we develop the formula below?
3(X-5) = 2(X+5)
Just multiply and solve for X.
I hope this helps a little more. Thanks for asking.
Did anyone even see that the question wanted his brother's age. Also, how did you test your answers?
Let y be Zack's age and x his brother's age. We're told
y-5=3(x-5)=3x-15 so y=3x-10
y+5=2(x+5)=2x+10 so y=2x+5
3x-10=2x+5, and solving for x we find his brother is 15 and Zack is 35.
Test: 5yrs ago Zack was 30 and his brother was 10. 5yrs from now Zack is 40 and his brother is 20.
- Math - j.hargrove, Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 7:12pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - Joan is 'y' years old. Her father is 4 times as old as she is and 28 ...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- Math - Luis is 10 years older than his brother. Next year, he will be three ...
- math - you are 6 years older than your sister she is 4 years older than your ...
- Math - 15) Marissa is 3 years older than her younger brother. Her older brother ...
- math - A. John is now 10 years older than Marcus. Three times John's age 5 years...
- Math - Jason is 20 years old. He is 4 times older than his younger brother. ...
- math - aileen's brother is twice as old as her. Ten years from now, her brother ...
- algebra - A person is 3 times as old as aonther person but in 15 years she will ...
- Algebra - Mary is y years old. Write an algebraic expression in terms of y for ...