chem(isotopic abundance)

The average atomic mass of iridium is 192.22u, if iridium-191 has an atomic mass of 190.961u and an isotopic abundance of 37.3% and iridium-193 is the only other natural occuring isotope, what is the atomic mass of iridium-193?

I tried but I don't think I have the right answer..(I get 12.01???
Please help I have an exam today

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 891
  1. Surely not 12.01 -- That's carbon.

    .373*190.96 + .627x = 192.22
    x = 192.97
    Hence the Ir-193 moniker

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
  2. where did u get 627 from?

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
  3. There are only two isotopes. If Ir-191 is 37.3%, Ir-193 is 62.7%

    Think back back back to Algebra I. This is just a mixture problem.

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
  4. oh 100-37.3 okokok thxx

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. chemistry

    iridium has two isotopes. with mass numbers 191 and 193, and its average relative atomic mass is 192.23.calculate the relative abundances of the two isotopes

    asked by daanyaal on September 5, 2017
  2. chemistry

    The element rhenium (Re) has two naturally occurring isotopes, 185Re and 187Re, with an average atomic mass of 186.207 amu. Rhenium is 62.60% 187Re, and the atomic mass of 187Re is 186.956 amu. Calculate the mass of 185Re. am i

    asked by lyne on January 5, 2009
  3. Chemistry

    Boron has only two naturally occurring isotopes. The mass of boron-10 is 10.01294 amu and the mass of boron-11 is 11.00931 amu. Use the atomic mass of boron to calculate the relative abundance of boron-10. Atomic mass of boron is

    asked by Brittany on September 7, 2011
  4. Chemistry

    Naturally occurring cobalt consists of only one isotope, 59Co, whose relative atomic mass is 58.9332. A synthetic radioactive isotope of cobalt, 60Co, relative atomic mass 59.9338, is used in radiation therapy for cancer. A

    asked by Vanessa on September 3, 2014
  5. Chemistry

    If iridium has a density of 23.3 g/cm3 and forms a face-centered cubic lattice, what is the atomic radius of the iridium atom? a. 135.7 pm b. 203.7 pm c. 271.4 pm d. 648.0 pm

    asked by Anonymous on June 5, 2013
  1. Chemistry

    The steps to getting the answer. A certain metal oxide has the formula MO where M denotes the metal. A 39.46g sample of the compound is strongly heated in an atmosphere of hydrogen to remove oxygen as water molecules. At the end,

    asked by Amy~ on August 26, 2010
  2. chm

    Why are the atomic masses listed in the periodic table not whole numbers? Answer Scientists have yet to make the precise measurements. That would be too much of a coincidence. ??>>The atomic masses are average atomic masses. or

    asked by jj on February 23, 2013
  3. science

    Gallium has an atomic mass of 69.7 amu. In a typical sample, 60.4% of Ga exxists as a Ga-69 (68.9257 amu). What isa the identity and the atomic mass of the other isotope?

    asked by Jun on September 21, 2009
  4. chemistry

    Copper used in electric wires comes in two flavors (isotopes): 63Cu and 65Cu. 63Cu has an atomic mass of 62.9298 amu and an abundance of 69.09%. The other isotope, 65Cu, has an abundance of 30.91%. The average atomic mass between

    asked by andrea on October 31, 2016
  5. chemistry

    if the mass of protons are halved and that of neutrons doubled to that of the actual values, what percentage change would have been found in the atomic mass of chromium whose actual atomic mass is 52.

    asked by jaya on May 5, 2010

You can view more similar questions or ask a new question.