Math

Bayes' theorem problem, Struggling with this the whole night, please help.Thank you.
Two states of nature exist for a particular situation: a good economy and a poor economy. An economic study may be performed to obtain more information about which of these will actually occur in the coming year. The study may forecast either a good economy or a poor economy. Currently there is 60% chance that the economy will be good and a 40% chance that the economy will be poor. In the past, whenever the economy was good, the economic study predicted it would be good 80% of the time. (The other 20% of the time the prediction was wrong.) In the past, whenever the economy was poor, the economic study predicted it would be 90% of the time.(The other 10% of the time the prediction was wrong.)

a) Use Bayes' theorem and find the following:
P(good economy| prediction of good economy)
P(poor economy| prediction of good economy)
P(good economy| prediction of poor economy)
P(poor economy| prediction of poor economy)

b) Suppose the initial (prior) probability of a good economy is 70% (instead of 60%), and the probability of a poor economy is 30% (instead of 40%). Find the posterior probabilities in part a based on these new values.

  1. 👍
  2. 👎
  3. 👁

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. Calculus

    Determine if the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals applies to the function f(x)=2-x^2 on the interval [0,√2). If so, find the x-coordinates of the point(s) guaranteed by the theorem a) No, the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals

  2. social studies

    which of the following arguments could have been used to support the us acquisition of Puerto Rico Guam and the Philippines? 1)The united states needed naval bases in the Caribbean and the pacific and new territory for businesses

  3. Calculus

    Determine if the Mean Value Theorem for Integrals applies to the function f(x) = √x on the interval [0, 4]. If so, find the x-coordinates of the point(s) guaranteed to exist by the theorem. a) No, the theorem does not apply b)

  4. Statistics

    Use Bayes' theorem to solve this problem. A storeowner purchases stereos from two companies. From Company A, 550 stereos are purchased and 1% are found to be defective. From Company B, 850 stereos are purchased and 6% are found to

  1. English Help Please

    Which line of dialogue by Anne in The Diary of Anne Frank, Act I reveals that Anne is struggling to find herself? A. "I knew it was the last night in my own bed, and yet I slept soundly." B. "I'll take the room in the afternoons."

  2. Geometry

    Mark wants to visit the 10 colleges he is considering attending. He can only spend the night at 3 of them. What is the probability that he spends a night at Rutgers University, a night at the University of Miami, and a night at

  3. statistics

    A firm has 30% of its service calls made by a contractor, and 15% of these calls result in customer complaints. The other 70% of the service calls are made by their own employees, and these calls have a 5% complaint rate. Use

  4. Calculus 1

    At 7:00 AM, the temperature was 30 degrees; 3 hours later it was 42 degrees. Assuming the temperature function is differentiable, what can be concluded from the Mean Value Theorem? Don't assume the temperature increased at a

  1. English

    In "A White Heron," having made her choice between an attraction of the heart and her bond with nature, Sylvia A. retains her loyalty to nature and becomes more suspicious of human nature. B. retains her loyalty to nature as her

  2. Language Arts

    1.Which Idea Is Conveyed In Both "Dust Of Snow" and Who Knows If The Moon's A.Nature can be playful (MY ANSWER) B.Nature can be harsh C.Nature can be annoying D.Nature can be mysterious 2.To Which Sense Do Both "Who Knows If The

  3. Math - Calculus

    Show that the equation x^3-15x+c=0 has at most one root in the interval [-2,2]. Perhaps Rolle's Theorem, Mean Value Theorem, or Intermediate Value Theorem hold clues? ...Other than simply using my TI-84, I have no idea how to

  4. Math

    Explain It In one night, George reads 3 chapters of a book with 27 chapters. After the second night, he has read a total of 8/27 of the book. Explain how you would determine the number of chapters George read the second night.

You can view more similar questions or ask a new question.