physics

You have a box that contains 200 marbles. 99% of the marbles are green, the other 1% are white.

How many green marbles would you have to remove from the box to reduce the percentage of green marbles to 98%?

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 691
asked by Poop
  1. Green = 0.99*200 = 198

    White = 0.01*200 = 2

    X green marbles removed.
    (200-x) Marbles remaining.

    0.98(200-x) + 2 = 200-x
    196-.98x + 2 = 200-x
    0.02x = 200-198 = 2
    X = 100 Green marbles removed.

    198-100 = 98 Green marbles remaining.
    200-100 = 100 total Marbles remaining.

    Check:
    Green/Total = 98/100 = 0.98 = 98% Green
    marbles remaining.

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
    posted by Henry

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. HELPPPP

    A box contains 2 white marbles, 3 blue marbles, 7 black marbles and 9 green marbles. Juan takes one marble at time out of the box and without looking at its color puts it in another box. What is the least number of marbles Juan

    asked by nisrin on February 23, 2014
  2. math

    A box contains 2 white marbles, 3 blue marbles, 7 black marbles and 9 green marbles. Juan takes one marble at time out of the box and without looking at its color puts it in another box. What is the least number of marbles Juan

    asked by nisrin on February 23, 2014
  3. statistics

    Suppose a box of marbles contains an equal number of red marbles and yellow marbles but twice as amny green marbles as red marbles. Draw one marble from the box and observe its color. Assign probabilitites to the elements.

    asked by Sharon on September 24, 2009
  4. statistics

    A box of marbles contains an equal number of red marbles and yellow marbles but twice as many green marbles as red marbles. Draw one marble from the box and observe its color. Assign probabilities to the elements.

    asked by Sharon on September 27, 2009
  5. Stats / Prob

    Suppose a box of marbles contains equal numbers of red marbles and yellow marbles but twice as many green marbles as red marbles. Draw one marble from the box and observe its color. Assign probabilities to the elements in the

    asked by Anonymous on February 13, 2013
  1. Algebra

    A box contains 15 blue marbles, 25 yellow marbles, 20 green marbles and 40 red marbles. How many ,arbles must you select to be sure that a green marble has been chosen ?

    asked by Lacey on December 18, 2011
  2. math

    A box contains 8 red marbles, 8 green marbles, and 10 black marbles. A sample of 12 marbles is to be picked from the box. How many samples contain exactly 7 red marbles or exactly 6 green marbles? The answer key sets it up as (8

    asked by Dan on October 17, 2018
  3. Math

    How do I approach this problem? Seven green marbles and three red marbles are randomly placed in Box A and in Box B. Box A holds 4 marbles, while Box B holds 6. What is the probability that Box A has at least 2 green marbles?

    asked by Anonymous on December 20, 2012
  4. math

    How do I approach this problem? Seven green marbles and three red marbles are randomly placed in Box A and in Box B. Box A holds 4 marbles, while Box B holds 6. What is the probability that Box A has at least 2 green marbles?

    asked by Anonymous on December 20, 2012
  5. Math ratios

    I need explanation if some can help thank you A box Is filled with green marbles, red marbles, and blue marbles. The ratio of red marbles to Green marbles is 3:1. The ratio of red marbles to all the marbles in the box is 2 :1.

    asked by Jay on November 19, 2019

More Similar Questions