College Chemistry (DrBob222)

The decomposition of HCO2H follows first-order kinetics.

HCO2H(g) CO2(g) + H2(g)

The half-life for the reaction at a certain temperature is 44 seconds. How many seconds are needed for the formic acid concentration to decrease by 73%?

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 965
  1. k = 0.693/t1/2

    ln(No/N) = kt
    No = any convenient number but I would use 100 to represent 100%. Then if it decreases by 73% that leaves 27% so
    N = 27
    k from above
    t = ? Solve for t in seconds if you use half life in seconds.

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
  2. Thank you! You are legendary!

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. chem

    Which of the following compounds would be expected to form intermolecular hydrogen bonds in the liquid state? (Select all that apply.) HCO2H CH3OCH3 (dimethyl ether) CH3CO2H (acetic acid) CH3OH (methanol) thanks:)

  2. Chemistry

    Formic acid, HCO2H, is a weak acid. Write a net ionic equation for the reaction of formic acid and aqueous potassium hydroxide.

  3. CHEM AP

    Complete and balance the following equation. MnO4^‾ (aq) + CH3OH(aq) ¨ Mn^2+(aq) + HCO2H(aq) (acidic solution) I KNOW ITS a redox, so i followed the steps and got: 4MnO4^- (aq) + 5CH3OH (aq) + 11H2O (l) + 12H^+ (aq) ¨

  4. Chemistry

    Calculate the delta H and delta S for the reaction. From there, calculate the delta G at 25 degrees Celsius. Predict whether it the reaction is spontaneous or non-spontaneous under standard conditions. CH3OH(l)+ O2(g)--> HCO2H(l)+

  1. chemistry

    The following data were obtained at 25° C for the reaction [1+2+2] C2H5Br + OH- C2H5OH + Br- Determine the rate law for the reaction from these data. [C2H5Br] [OH-] Rate 0.150 0.200 4.8 x 10-5 0.300 0.200 9.6 x 10-5 0.450 0.200

  2. chemistry

    In the following reaction, how many liters of carbon dioxide, CO2, measured at STP, would be produced from the decomposition of 143 g of magnesium carbonate, MgCO3? MgCO3----MgO+CO2

  3. Chemistry

    A reaction is first order in A. If the rate constant of the reaction is 3.45x10^-3 s-1, what is the half life of the reaction? a. 4.98x10^-3 s b. 200 s c. 3.45x10^-3 s d. 100 s e. 1.73x10^-3 s

  4. Chemistry

    How much HCO2H is obtained by reacting 3.0g of FeS, 1.60g H2S, and 1.60g CO2 if the reaction results in a 47.0% yield? I know that I need to the molar mass of each which FeS-3.2/87.9=0.036 H2S-1.6/34.1=0.047 CO2-1.6/44.0=0.363 I

  1. chemistry

    After 56.0 min, 25.0% of a compound has decomposed. What is the half-life of this reaction assuming first-order kinetics?

  2. Chemistry - half life

    What is the half-life (in h) for the decomposition of O3 when the concentration of O3 is 2.37 ✕ 10−6 M? The rate constant for this second-order reaction is 50.4 L/mol/h.

  3. chemistry

    Lime, CaO, is produced by the decomposition reaction CaCO3(s) ® CaO(s) + CO2(g). What weight of CO2 is obtained by the decomposition of 38.7 g of CaCO3?

  4. Chemistry

    The rate constant for a second-order reaction is 0.54 M-1s-1. What is the half-life of this reaction if the initial concentration is 0.27 M

You can view more similar questions or ask a new question.