chem 102

Use Henry's law and the solubilities given below to calculate the total volume of nitrogen and oxygen gas that should bubble out of 1.1L of water upon warming from 25 ∘C to 50 ∘C. Assume that the water is initially saturated with nitrogen and oxygen gas at 25 ∘C and a total pressure of 1.0 atm. Assume that the gas bubbles out at a temperature of 50 ∘C. The solubility of oxygen gas at 50 ∘C is 27.8 mg/L at an oxygen pressure of 1.00 atm. The solubility of nitrogen gas at 50 ∘C is 14.6 mg/L at a nitrogen pressure of 1.00 atm. Assume that the air above the water contains an oxygen partial pressure of 0.21 atm and a nitrogen partial pressure of 0.78 atm.

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 1,414
  1. p = KcC
    p = 0.21 when saturated and Kc = about 769 atm*L/mol but you should look this up in your tables and use that number here. Also, I have estimated all of my other answers; you definitely should go through the calculations yourself and refine each of the steps.
    C for the sat'd solution at 25C is
    about 3E-4M. Convert that to mol.
    3E-4 mols/L x 1.1 L = about 3E-4 mols and that x 32 = about 9.5E-3 g which is about 9.5 mg in the 1.1 L @ 25C for O2.

    At 50C, oxygen is 27.8 mg/L @ 1atm or
    27.8mg/L x 1.1 L = about 30 mg @ 1 atm. If the pressure is to be 0.21 above the solution at equilibrium the solubility will be decreased to about 30 x 0.21 atm/1 atm = about 6.5 mg. So 9.5mg initially - 6.5 mg at 50C is about 3 mg O2 that should bubble out.

    N2 can be done the same way, then add the partial pressure of O2 to that of N2 to find total P. Check my thinking.

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 2
  2. For "C" where did you get 3E-4 M from?

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. English 9

    When considering why Henry was irritated with his mother in the red badge of courage which reading strategy would be the most effective? A. Make a connection between yourself and Henry. B. Visualize Henry in an argument with his

  2. chemistry

    A 0.12-mole sample of nitrogen gas occupies a volume of 2.55 L. What is the volume of 0.32 mol of nitrogen gas under the same conditions?

  3. Chemistry

    Fish breathe the dissolved air in water through their gills. Assuming the partial pressures of oxygen and nitrogen in the air are to be .20 atm and .80 atm respectively, calculate the mole fractions of oxygen and nitrogen in the

  4. chemistry 2

    The volume of blood in the body of a certain deep-sea diver is 6.00L. Blood cells make up 55% of the blood volume, and the remaining 45% is the aqueous solution called plasma. What is the maximum volume of nitrogen measured at

  1. Chemistry 11th Grade

    If a certain oxide of nitrogen weighing 0.11g gives 56 ml of nitrogen and another oxide of nitrogen weighing 0.15 g gives the same volume of nitrogen (both at STP), show that these results support the law of multiple proportions.

  2. Chemistry

    When heated to 350. ∘C at 0.950 atm, ammonium nitrate decomposes to produce nitrogen, water, and oxygen gases: 2NH4NO3(s)→Δ2N2(g)+4H2O(g)+O2(g) Using the ideal gas law equation, calculate the volume, in liters, of water vapor

  3. san jac

    a sample of nitrogen gas contain 5.0mol in a volume of 3.5L calculate the new volume of the container if the pressure and temperature are kept constant but the number of moles of nitrogen is change to 2.5 mol

  4. physics

    Calculate the mass of nitrogen present in a volume of 3000 cm^3 if the temperature of the gas is 22 degrees Celsius and the absolute pressure is 2.00 * 10^-13 atm, a partial vacuum easily obtained in laboratories. The molar mass

  1. chemistry

    Calculate the volume occupied by 7g of nitrogen gas at 27 degree c and 750 mm of hg pressure

  2. Chemistry

    A sample of nitrogen gas was collected via water displacement. Since the nitrogen was collected via water displacement, the sample is saturated with water vapor. If the total pressure of the mixture at 21 °C is 1.16 atm, what is

  3. Chem hw!

    1. What pressure would be needed to compress 25.1 mL of hydrogen at 1.01 atm to 25% of its original volume? 2. If the pressure on a 1.04-L sample of gas is doubled at constant temperature, what will be the new volume of the gas?

  4. Math

    Esmeralda told her teacher she was reading a book about King Henry XLI. Justin, Esmeralda’s classmate, said he had heard about King Henry VIII and asked about how many kings named Henry there were from King Henry VIII to King

You can view more similar questions or ask a new question.