posted by Carlos
How are intermolecular forces different from the forces that bond atoms together into molecules? How are they similar?
- Between different molecules of the same substance
- London Forces, Dipole-Dipole Interactions, Hydrogen Bonds
- Do not involve any sharing of electrons between atoms
- Between different atoms in the same molecule
- Covalent/Ionic bonds which involve the sharing or donation of electrons between atoms
Arora mostly has it on target. In general, the intermolecular forces are weaker than the intramolecular forces that bond atoms together.