Science check my answers please
posted by OCA student .
1. Convert 4.0 kilometers (km) to meters (m). (1 point)
4,000 m (my answer)
2. For his science project, Austin wants to determine if the pH of standing rainwater changes
over time. He collects a jar of rainwater and places it indoors in a spot that does not
receive a lot of sunlight to limit evaporation. Using a pH testing kit, he measures the pH of
the water once a day for 20 days.
What is the independent, or manipulated, variable in Austin’s experiment?
the number of days the rainwater is allowed to sit
the number of times the rainwater is observed
the change in the amount of rainwater due to evaporation
the change in pH of the rainwater over time (my answer)
3. The growth of a certain plant was measured over a period of more than a month. How
many centimeters did the plant grow between day 10 and day 30?
4. How is a scientific theory different from a hypothesis? (1 point)
A theory is an explanation of a single phenomenon; a hypothesis is a question that can be tested. (my answer)
A theory is a well-tested explanation; a hypothesis is a possible answer that needs to be tested.
A theory and a hypothesis are both educated guesses, but a hypothesis is not proven.
A theory explains a scientific law; a hypothesis explains a theory.
5. Which of the following would introduce bias into an experiment? (1 point)
publishing your experimental results in a scientific journal
allowing other scientists to repeat and verify your experimental results
using a computer to record and store your data
discarding data that does not fit with your personal expectations (my answer)
6. Which of the following questions is outside the scope of science? (1 point)
How are religion and philosophy different?
What is the diet of the American alligator?
How do humans digest protein?
How does gravity affect an airplane’s motion?
7. Which of the following statements is true about scientific inquiry? (1 point)
All scientists use the same method of scientific inquiry.
Scientific inquiry includes one scientific method.
Scientific inquiry is an ongoing and repetitive process.
Scientists try to avoid using scientific inquiry.
8. Which of the following is something a scientist might do to practice science safety? (1 point)
Perform safety inspections.
Wear open-toed shoes.
Reuse unwashed glassware.
Keep a messy work station.
9. Which of the following is an observation you can make by looking at the image? (1 point)
One lion is running away from the other lion.
The lions are from the same pride.
Both lions are hunting prey.
One lion's tail is raised higher than the other lion's tail.
10. Creating a prototype and troubleshooting are steps in the development of (1 point)
a new scientific theory.
a new experiment.
a new scientific law.
a new technology.
11. Several studies linking cigarette smoke to health problems have resulted in the banning of
smoking in many public places. This is an example of
ways scientific theories become scientific laws.
ways scientists communicate results.
ways science influences society.
ways scientific hypotheses are tested.
My answers are
Can someone check my answers? Thank you
Science check my answers please -
DANA connexus kid
1. 4 000 000 meters * m
2.The independent variable: that would be "time."
The manipulated variable: the pH of the rainwater. At least, it's the dependent variable! :-)
(Austin might seal the jar between measurements, with plastic-wrap, to make really sure it doesn't evaporate; if it evaporates, the concentration changes just from evaporation, not simply because it's standing rainwater. He might also have a second jar to measure at the same time, with distilled water, just to compare the two, as a "control" sample. And to really do it up nice, he might put it on a porch so the temperature stays ambient, as would rainwater in a puddle.