Chemistry - Science (Dr. Bob222)

posted by .

Nitrogen gas has values of Cv and Cp of 20.8 and 29.1 J K-1 mol-1, respectively. When a certain amount of nitrogen is heated at constant pressure, what fraction of the heat Q is used to increase the internal energy of the gas, and how is the remaining energy used?

A) 3/2 of Q is used to increase internal energy, the rest used for work.
B) All of Q is used to increase the internal energy of the gas and there is no remaining energy.
C) ~ 0.7 (70%) of Q is used to increase the internal energy and the rest goes to pressure-volume work.
D) Most of Q is used up as work in the expansion of the gas at constant pressure.
E) 58% of Q does work, and the rest goes to increasing the internal energy of the gas.

  • Chemistry - Science (Dr. Bob222) -

    Thermodynamics is not my field. I would go with C but get a second opinion.
    I don't think A is right because for a diatomic gas Cp is 7/2R.
    B. B can't be right because at constant P there will be pdV work.
    C. The difference between Cv and Cp is 8.3 and that is about 28.5% of 29.1 so that much energy goes to work leaving about 71.5% for heat and that's close to 70%.
    D. Doesn't sound reasonable
    E. I tried various manipulations to get 58% and couldn't do it so I don't know how they arrived at this as a possible answer.
    I would be interested in knowing the correct answer (and WHY of course) if it isn't C.

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. physics

    Two copper cylinders, immersed in a water tank at 46.3°C contain helium and nitrogen, respectively. The helium-filled cylinder has a volume twice as large as the nitrogen-filled cylinder. a) Calculate the average kinetic energy of …
  2. Physics

    Two copper cylinders, immersed in a water tank at 46.3°C contain helium and nitrogen, respectively. The helium-filled cylinder has a volume twice as large as the nitrogen-filled cylinder. a) Calculate the average kinetic energy of …
  3. Chemistry

    Consider the process where 1.3 moles of ice, initially at -30.0 C, is heated to 140.0 C at constant pressure of 1.00 atm. The molar heat capacities (Cp) for solid, liquid, and gaseous water (37.5 J K-1 mol-1, 75.3 J K-1 mol-1, 36.4 …
  4. Chemistry

    Consider the process where 1.3 moles of ice, initially at -30.0 C, is heated to 140.0 C at constant pressure of 1.00 atm. The molar heat capacities (Cp) for solid, liquid, and gaseous water (37.5 J K-1 mol-1, 75.3 J K-1 mol-1, 36.4 …
  5. Chemistry

    Henry constant for the dissolving of nitrogen in water was reported as 7e-4 mol/Latm at 20 deg Celsius. What is the value of the equilibrium constant, K, at 20 deg Celsius for the process N2(g0)=N2(aq). If the amount of nitrogen in …
  6. Chemistry

    Henry constant for the dissolving of nitrogen in water was reported as 7e-4 mol/Latm at 20 deg Celsius. What is the value of the equilibrium constant, K, at 20 deg Celsius for the process N2(g0)=N2(aq). If the amount of nitrogen in …
  7. Chemistry

    A sealed container comtains 1.50 mol of nitrogen gas, 2.00 mol of oxygen gas and 3.50 mol of argon gas. If the total pressure is 900 kPa, what is the pressure of the nitrogen gas?
  8. chemistry

    A sealed container comtains 1.50 mol of nitrogen gas, 2.00 mol of oxygen gas and 3.50 mol of argon gas. If the total pressure is 900 kPa, what is the pressure of the nitrogen gas?
  9. Chemistry

    Calculate the change in entropy (in J/K) when 61.4 g of nitrogen gas is heated at a constant pressure of 1.50 atm from 25.8 ºC to 92.8 ºC. (The molar specific heats are Cv is 20.8 J/(mol-K) and Cp is 29.1 J/(mol-K) .)
  10. School of Christ International, physics

    A value of 22.0m of nitrogen gas at 20°c is heated under constant pressure to 167°c What is the new nitrogen gas

More Similar Questions