Culture and Diversity
posted by John Jones .
As the cultural landscape changes, it is important to increase our awareness and understanding of a variety of cultures to appreciate why communication can be a challenge. For this task, you will choose a setting, a committee, or an organization in which you are involved as an employee or volunteer. You will then prepare a report for the head of the organization you chose about the ever-changing cultural landscape and the need for improved communication practices through application of diversity skills.
A. Prepare a report for the head of your organization in which you do the following:
1. Explain how three demographic changes in the United States are reflected within the organization.
Note: One or more sources must be used to back up the details of your responses.
a. Describe two ways in which increasing diversity could strengthen the organization.
B. Analyze the current communication practices within the organization by doing the following:
1. Describe two specific communication practices within the organization that could be improved.
2. Explain two stereotypical assumptions that could limit effective communication between members of the organization.
3. Explain two potential barriers within the organization that may hinder effective communication.
C. Propose a plan for improving the issues identified in part B by doing the following:
1. Describe three diversity skills that can help the organization overcome communication barriers.
2. Explain how members of the organization will develop the three diversity skills from part C1.
3. Explain the benefits of implementing each of the recommendations from part C1.
D. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.
What is your question about your assignment?
I am having a hard time coming up with three demographic changes that are reflected in the committee. I was told to use a job or organization i work or volunteer in. I work at a day care and am having a hard time coming up with 3 changes.
No one here has any knowledge of the day care facility where you work, but consider these:
Do you have more children whose first language is not English? How will this affect the daily operation of the day care?
Do you have more children whose first language seems to be a mix of English and another language? If you have these children, do their parents speak and understand English? How will this affect the daily operation of the day care?
What else can you think of?
I decided to not only focus on the children and parents but worker themselves, because Americans are getting older so we have workers that are a lot older. I also chose education level because some of the parents are going back to school and bringing their children to day care so that they can better themselves. We do have children of different races which is also becoming greater in the U.S.