posted by rfvv .
1. I didn't know you had such great talent in ballet.
2. I didn't know you had such a great talent in ballet.
(Which one is correct? Do we have to insert 'a' or not?)
3. Do you really mean it, Dad?
(#3 is the answer to the previous statement. What does "mean it" mean?
4. Do you really mean that you didn't know I had such great talent?
5. Do you really mean that I have such great talent?
Does #3 mean #4 or #5?)
2. is better.
3. The child is questioning whether the father is serious. Does his dad really mean that he had a great talent?
Yes. 4. and 5 mean the same as 3.