posted by rfvv .
1. Thomas ____ there but a minute when his girl friend arrived. (be)
2. Some kids ____ to tears with the ordinary textbooks when they entered high school. (bore)
(What is the suitable forms of the verbs of the parentheses in the blanks/)
3. Robert announced that he was ____ out of college.
(Can I enter 'dropped' in the blank to complete the sentence?)
1. had been
2. were bored
3. Dropped would work if you change the helping verb to has or had.
3. Robert announced that he was dropped out of college.
(Thank you for your help. Is this sentence right in grammar? What other expressions can we use instead of 'dropped'?)
That is not the usual way of stating that idea.
If he leaves college on his own, then we can say he dropped out. If the college makes him leave, then say he was expelled or suspended from college.
Do you see the difference between the active and passive voices here?
Ok. Thank you.