CONDITIONAL PROBABILITY

posted by .

65% of the employees in a firm are graduates and 35% did not receive any graduate trainig.
Among the graduates, 40% have an experience of less than 10 years. Similarly, 18% of the non graduate emplyees have an experience of more than 10 years.

The first question is construct the corresponding contignency tables.
answer: i did it like that

GRADUATES NON GRADUATES
EMPLOYESS 65% 35% (total=100)
less thn 10 yrs 40% 25%(total 65)
mre than 10 years 17% 18% (total 35)

The toal of grduates column is 122, for non graduats is 78% for the total column is 200

The second question :what is the probability that an employee chosen randomly is a graduate or has an experience of more than 10 years?

for that second question:should i take 65/200 and 17/200?if yes,should i calculate it in terms of its percentage?? i mean 65/100*200 ??

  • CONDITIONAL PROBABILITY -

    I interpret the problem different from you. I take
    "Among the graduates, 40% have an experience of less than 10 years. "
    to mean 40% among the 65% (graduates) have <10 years experience, so (65-26)=39% among the graduates have >10 years experience.

    Similarly,
    "18% of the non graduate emplyees have an experience of more than 10 years"
    would mean 18% of 35%(non-grad) have >10 years experience, or 6.3% of the total have >10 years, leaving (35-6.3)=28.7% have <10 years experience.

    The table then becomes:
    ====G====NG
    <10y 26% 28.7% total = 54.7%
    >10y 39% 6.3% total = 45.3%
    --------65% 35%

    We look for Probability of an employee being a graduate given he has more than 10 years experience.
    We have learned that conditional probability P(A|B) prob. of A given B
    P(A|B)=P(A∩B)/P(B)
    So
    P(G|>10y)=P(G ∩ >10y)/P(>10y)
    =0.39/(0.453)
    =0.861 approx.

    P(G

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. probability

    78% of college graduates say they spent two years or less at their first full-time job after graduating college. you randomly select 10 college graduates and ask each how long they stayed at their first full-time job after graduating …
  2. probability

    78% of college graduates say they spent two years or less at their first full-time job after graduating college. you randomly select 10 college graduates and ask each how long they stayed at their first full-time job after graduating …
  3. statistics

    A study of graduates average grades and degrees showed the following results: B.S. Degrees, 15 graduates averaged Grade A, 8 graduates averaged Grade B, and 5 graduates averaged grade C. Graduates who had a B.A. Degree, 8 averaged …
  4. intro to statistics

    A random study of recent graduates' average grades and degrees showed the following results. Grade Degree C B A B.S. 6 9 13 B.A. 5 12 10 If a graduate is selected at random, find these probabilities. 1.The graduate has a B.S. degree, …
  5. statistik

    the average starting salary of this yaer's graduates of a large university (LU)is $25000 with a standard deviation of $5000.futhermore,it is known that the starting salaries are normally distributed. a)what is the probability that …
  6. math

    According to the statistics of a famous high school in Canada, all their graduates went to either A or B for university study. Following are the proportions of graduates who went to the two universities. University Proportion A 1-k …
  7. statistics

    A headline in a certain newspaper states that "most stay at first job less than 2 years." That headline is based on an online poll of 320 college graduates. Among those polled, 72% stayed at their first full-time job less than 2 years. …
  8. Statistic

    Graduates of a two year associate degree nursing program (AND) and graduates of a four year baccalaureate nursing program (BSN) both take the same certificate exam for licensure as a registered nurse. It has been argued that the two …
  9. Statistic

    Use a Confidence Interval to Solve Each Problem 1-3 1. Graduates of a two year associate degree nursing program (AND) and graduates of a four year baccalaureate nursing program (BSN) both take the same certificate exam for licensure …
  10. Math

    If 3/4 of the employees in a supermarket are not college graduates,what is the ratio of the number of college graduates to those who are not college graduates?

More Similar Questions