posted by Henry2 .
Writeacher, here is the other question I'd like them to answer.
1) Go over George Orwell's life focusing your attention on those episodes which strengthened his indifference to accepted values and strong-mindedness.
(I don’t want students to repeat Orwell’s life but to focus on the episodes I mentioned above) I wonder if you could help me improve my questions as well as my ten-line paragraph.
2) George Orwell was educated at Eton, one of the original nine English public schools, which was founded in 1440 by King Henry VI. This school used to be renowned for its use of corporal punishment, generally known as "beating".
3) Offending boys used to be summoned to the Head Master to receive a birching on the bare posterior in a semi-public ceremony. George Orwell couldn't stand the humiliating corporal punishments to which the pupils at Eton were subjected.
4) He failed to adhere to discipline and the school's strict moral code. He became more and more strong-minded and indifferent to accepted values. After leaving Eton, Orwell served in Burma for the Indian Imperial Police. On his return to England, he experienced poverty first hand.
5) As a matter of fact, he sought the company of destitute people to find out how institutions for the poor worked. In particular, he began wearing second-hand clothes and lived in common-lodging houses in the East End. After working for a short time as a dishwasher, he began publishing his works under the pseudonym of George Orwell.
6) (He chose George because it sounded very British and suggested plain speaking and common sense. He chose the surname Orwell from the name of the river he liked.) In 1936, we went to Catalonia to report on the Spanish Civil War.
7) George Orwell along with Ernest Hemingway were among the more famous foreigners participating in the efforts against the fascists. When the Second World War broke out, he moved to London where he joined the BBC.
8) He broadcast cultural and political programmes to India. In 1943, he resigned and became literary editor of Tribune, an influential socialist weekly.
9) His last novel, 1984, was published in 1949 and soon became a best-seller. Orwell died of tuberculosis the following year.
Do you think I should omit some episodes or link them with sentence connectors?