American Government: Check my answers please
posted by Cheryl .
1. Self-interest is not a primary motivation for people to become involved in a capitalist economy.
2. In the U.S. economy, the government does not interrupt the market economy and business transactions between companies.
3. Socialism is based on the concept that the people as a whole own the factors of production.
4. The prices of goods in a communist economy are determined by the concepts of supply and demand.
5. After the death of Lenin, Joseph Stalin relaxed the tight grip the government had on the people of the Soviet Union
6. Mikhail Gorbachev tried very hard to block anti-communist political movements in the Soviet Union.
7. Collective security among nations is essential to a government's ability to promote the public good.
8. In developing nations, working people spend a significant amount of time growing food for their families to eat.
9. The United States opposes free trade because it limits profits of American companies.
10. The European Union was created after the fall of communism in Eastern Europe.
11. In the relationship between the U.S. and Japan, the U.S. has put pressure on Japan to increase its involvement in world affairs.
12. The United States did little to support Eastern European countries when they withdrew from the Soviet Union and established independent democratic governments.
13. Which of the following is one of the principle components of capitalism?
a. A “bull” economy
b. Government ownership
c. Collective resources
14. Which of the following is NOT one of the ways that the federal government is involved in the U.S. economy?
a. Setting tariffs on exports
b. Regulating business practices
c. Taxing citizens
d. Providing social services
15. Which of the following is NOT a principle component of socialism?
a. nationalization of some industries
b. economic planning by a central authority
c. high tax rates on citizens
d. government ownership of all factors of production
16. Which of the following is a principle component of communism?
a. private ownership of resources
b. a classless society
c. high taxes
17. Which of the following statements about communism under Joseph Stalin is true?
a. Stalin wanted the government to focus more attention on building human capital.
b. Stalin continued the free enterprise policies started by Lenin.
c. Stalin outlawed the collectivization of millions of peasant farms.
d. Stalin concentrated efforts on strengthening the Soviet military.
18. What is one factor that led to the collapse of communism in the Soviet Union?
a. Soviet citizens had to many liberties
b. The decisions of the communist party led to a struggling economy
c. People became disillusioned with the classless society they developed
d. An epidemic weakened the healthcare system
19. All of the following are threats to collective security EXCEPT:
b. Nuclear weapons
c. Ideological rivalries
d. Conventional arms
20. A ____________________ nation has high literacy rates, low unemployment, and strong industry.
b. Third world
21. Which of the following is NOT an advantage of free trade?
a. Free trade increases the number of markets open to domestic companies
b. Free trade provides a larger supply of goods available to consumers.
c. Free trade helps countries earn money from tariffs placed on foreign goods.
d. Free trade increases the ability of governments to provide services to citizens
because of higher incomes.
22. Leaders in the United States, Mexico, and Canada signed the NAFTA because they believed it would
a. limit the chances of war among these nations.
b. significantly strengthen the economies of these countries.
c. help to bring an end to communism more quickly.
d. significantly reduce the number of illegal immigrants crossing the U.S. border.
23. Which of the following was developed to help decrease the number of trade restrictions between countries?
24. The large trade deficit held by the United States raises concerns because it causes
a. Consumers to decrease their spending
b. The government to lose tax money
d. U.S businesses to export more services
25. Which of the following characterizes the relationship between Latin American countries and the United States?
a. economic progress and political cooperation
b. arguments about shared borders and illegal aliens
c. human rights issues and healthcare assistance
d. efforts to expand trade and intervention in Latin American affairs
26. What are the two major issues that characterize the relationship between China and the United States?
a. Labor camps and refugees
b. Tiananmen Square and artistic expression
c. Trade and human rights
d. Nuclear weapons and land mines
27. What is the focus of United States policy toward African countries?
a. Providing humanitarian aid
b. Supporting tribal leaders
c. Designing ways to end racial conflict
d. Maintaining the red cross and peace corps
This is not my area so I'm not sure of 16. 18. to = too
Otherwise they look like good choices.
everything else is right :)