physics

posted by .

A horizontal spring, resting on a frictionless tabletop, is stretched 14 from its unstretched configuration and a 1.00- mass is attached to it. The system is released from rest. A fraction of a second later, the spring finds itself compressed 3.6 from its unstretched configuration.
How does its final potential energy compare to its initial potential energy? (Give your answer as a ratio, final to initial.)

  • physics -

    You need stretch and mass dimensions after your numbers. However, in this case we can answer it anyway.

    Potential Energy of a spring is proportional to the square of the stretch (or compression) dimension. 3.6 is 25.7% of 14. The P.E. will be (0.257)^2 = 6.6% of the original maximum-stretch value. The rest (93.4%) of the original energy becomes kinetic energy at that point

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. physics

    If a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's surface, the distance that the spring is stretched is measured to be 1.0 cm. What is the spring constant of the spring (remember the MKS units)?
  2. physics

    a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's surface, the distance that the spring is stretched is measured to be 1.0 cm. What is the spring constant of the spring (remember the MKS units)?
  3. PHYSICS

    a 0.1 kg mass is suspended at rest from a spring near the Earth's surface, the distance that the spring is stretched is measured to be 1.0 cm. What is the spring constant of the spring (remember the MKS units)?
  4. Physics

    A 2.50 mass is pushed against a horizontal spring of force constant 26.0 on a frictionless air table. The spring is attached to the tabletop, and the mass is not attached to the spring in any way. When the spring has been compressed …
  5. Physics

    Need help on part B! A 2.50 mass is pushed against a horizontal spring of force constant 26.0 on a frictionless air table. The spring is attached to the tabletop, and the mass is not attached to the spring in any way. When the spring …
  6. Physics Urgent please help

    Consider an ideal spring that has an unstretched length l_0 = 3.5 m. Assume the spring has a constant k = 36 N/m. Suppose the spring is attached to a mass m = 8 kg that lies on a horizontal frictionless surface. The spring-mass system …
  7. science

    A 4.50 g mass resting on a horizontal, frictionless surface is attached to one end of a spring; the other end of the spring is fixed to a wall. It takes 3.6J of work to compress the spring by 13.0 cm. If the spring is compressed, and …
  8. mechanics: simple harmonic oscillation

    Consider an ideal spring that has an unstretched length ℓ and a spring constant k. Suppose the spring is attached to a mass m that lies on a horizontal frictionless surface. The spring-mass system is compressed a distance of …
  9. physics

    A 0.46 kg mass is attached to a spring with a spring constant of 145 N/m so that the mass is allowed to move on a horizontal frictionless surface. The mass is released from rest when the spring is compressed 0.14 m. Find the acceleration …
  10. Physics

    The spring of force constant k = 400 N/m is set up horizontally with a 0.300 kg mass attached on it resting on a frictionless table. The mass is pulled so that the spring is stretched 0.100 m from the equilibrium point, and is then …

More Similar Questions