stats: need help please

posted by .

4.34 Keno is a favorite game in casinos, and similar games are popular with the
states that operate lotteries. Balls numbered 1 to 80 are tumbled in a machine
as the bets are placed, then 20 of the balls are chosen at random. Players select
numbers by marking a card. The simplest of the many wagers available is marking
1 number." Your payoff is $3 on a $1 bet if the number you select is one of those
chosen. Because 20 of 80 numbers are chosen, your probability of winning is 20/80,
or 0.25.
(a) What is the probability distribution (the outcomes and their probabilities) of
the payoff X on a single play?
(b) What is the mean payoff X?
(c) In the long run, how much does the casino keep from each dollar bet?

  • stats: need help please -

    In the simple KENO game where one number is played.

    a) There is a 25% chance of winning $3 and a 75% chance of winning zero.

    b) the mean payoff is .25*3 + .75*0. = 0.75 or 75 cents on each dollar bet.

    c) from b, the casino keeps 25 cents on each dollar bet.

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. stats

    a box contains 100 cards, of which 25 are numbered 1, 35 are numbered 2, 30 are numbered 3, 10 are numbered 4. One card will be drawn from the box and its number X observed. Give the probability distribution of X How in the world do …
  2. data analysis

    - In the State of Georgia, one of the most popular lottery games is called Mega Millions. To play Mega Millions, you pay $1 and try to pick the numbers that will match five white balls and the one mega ball. There are 56 white balls …
  3. programming

    Problem 6.9 Lottery Number Generator A lottery commission offers four different lottery games to play: Three-number, Four-number, Five-number and Five-number + 1 lotteries. Each game has independent numbers. Develop an application …
  4. maths probability

    In one version of the game Keno the house has a pot containing 80 balls numbered 1 through 80,.the house then selects 20 of the 80 numbers at random . The house randomly selects 20 numbers from the counting numbers 1-80 .In the variation …
  5. math

    A basket contains 15 red numbered balls and 10 white numbered balls. A sample of five balls is selected. How many samples contain three red balls and two white balls?
  6. Math

    Julia and Kevin are playing games at the arcade. Julia started with $15, and the machine she is playing cost $.75 per game. Kevin started with $13, and his machine costs $.50 per game. After how many games will these two kids have …
  7. math

    Paul bowled 6 games today. His scores are shown below. Game 1: 158 Game 2: 124 Game 3: 110 Game 4: 167 Game 5: 146 Game 6: 165 a. What was Paul's median score for the 6 games?
  8. Math

    a lottery game has balls numbered 1 through 19. What is the probability of selecting an even numbered ball or a 4?
  9. Math

    A lottery game has balls numbered through 19. What is the probability of selecting an even numbered ball or a 4 ?
  10. Stats

    A bag has 27 balls in it; numbered 1 through 27; no number repeats. If you select two balls from the bag without replacement what is the probability that both are more than 23?

More Similar Questions