posted by Kate .
Write correct preterite forms of the verbs ir and estar to complete conversatin.
Claudia y yo ______a comprar sellos; _______ en el correo por quince minutos.
Elías _________ a cobrar un cheque; ______ en el banco por veinte minutos.
Irene y Marcos ______ a comprar unos patines nuevos; ____ en la tienda de equipo deportivo por una hora.
Uds. _____ a devolver los libros; _____ en la biblioteca por una hora y media.
Yo________ a comprar jabón; _____ en el supermercado por media hora.
Did I do this right?
That looks great to me! Good Job!
Thank you for using the Jiskha Homework Help Forum. Not quite.
2. depends upon the speaker but because of the time limit (quince minutos), this looks good
3. Notice the "a" after the verb? That means you do NOT want estar but ser = fue
4. This is like #2. Ordinarily they would both be the imperfect but you certainly can justify the preterit, as the speaker and with the time limit of 20 minutes.
6. Same as #2 and #4.
7. The subject is Uds. (ustedes) which is 3rd person plural, so it must be fueron
8. This verb must also be 3rd person plural as "Uds." is still the subject = estuvieron (like #2, #4, and #6 OR estaban.
10. again, like #2, #4, #6, #8. Just remember that as the speaker YOU alone can select and justify Preterit, rather than Imperfect!
OOPS! #3 I meant it must be IR with the "a" after it.
It was too late to also explain to you last night that certain verbs have a different meaning in the Preterit.
estar in the imperfect means "to be" = was
BUT in the preterit it is a synonym for "llegar" = got. estaba allí = he WAS there BUT estuvo allí = he GOT there
Other verbs with special meanings in the preterit:
poder = pudo = he could, managed to but podía = he was able, although you don't know that he actually DID
saber = supo = he found out (concentrating on the first minute he learned)
sabía = he knew
querer = quiso = he intended
quería = he wanted
no quiso (used negatively) = he refused
tener = tuvo = he had, he "got" = the first instant when he "grabbed" it
tenía = he had, was holding in his possession
Thanks for the answers