posted by jodi .
If you consider The Call of the Wild to be an allegory, which one of the following statements would be true?
A. Judge Miller represents the primordial condition.
B. Buck represents some characteristic of humanity.
C. John Thornton represents the civilized world.
D. The book is a story about the need for socialism.
2. On page 14 of The Call of the Wild, what's meant by the phrase "The domesticated generations fell from him"?
A. Buck has lost a lot of hair in his fight with Spitz.
B. Buck is learning to love a human being again.
C. Buck is losing his civilized characteristics.
D. Buck longs to return home to the Judge's family.
3. The survival of the fittest is an idea promoted by
A. Carl Jung.
B. Friedrich Nietzsche.
C. Charles Darwin.
D. Karl Marx.
4. In Buck's thinking, the "noblest" prey of all is
A. another dog.
B. a very fast rabbit.
C. a moose.
5. The Yukon is the main _______ for this story.
6. How did John Thornton die?
A. He died from frostbite to his feet.
B. He was killed by a group of wild wolves.
C. He was killed by Native Americans.
D. He died in the river rapids.
7. What does Buck often dream of as he sleeps by the campfire?
A. Judge Miller's home
B. Primitive man
C. John Thornton
D. His fight with Spitz
8. The term racial unconscious means that
A. we're all racists at heart to some degree, even though we're unaware of it.
B. each species and culture shares ancient memories, stored in the unconscious part of the mind.
C. you must learn the law of club and fang to survive.
D. nature weeds out the weakest and unfit.
9. What happens the first time Buck is beaten?
A. He learns he has to obey men, but decides never to surrender inside.
B. He has his spirit as well as his body crushed.
C. He learns that he can't get away with stealing another dog's food.
D. He swears that he'll someday have his revenge on Spitz.
10. The term hierarchy refers to
A. a team in which everyone is equal and has to pull his or her own weight.
B. a power structure in which each member knows his or her own place.
C. a situation in which higher species such as men will always be in control of lower species such as animals.
D. a condition in which the weak must die so the strong can survive.
11. The purpose of the expedition Buck takes with Thornton and his partners is to
A. search for a gold mine.
B. find a new camp.
C. deliver mail.
D. hunt for food.
12. On page 14 of The Call of the Wild, Jack London writes, "In vague ways he remembered back to the youth of the breed." This statement is an example of
A. the will to power.
B. natural selection.
C. survival of the fittest.
D. the racial unconscious.
13. What breed of dog is Buck?
A. St. Bernard and Scotch shepherd mix
B. Husky and Scotch shepherd mix
C. St. Bernard
14. Mercedes's luggage is a symbol of
A. her party's inexperience.
C. her domination.
D. her selfishness.
15. What word best describes the relationship between Buck and John Thornton?
16. The death of Curly is an example of
A. the theory of evolution.
B. racial unconsciousness.
C. the law of club and fang.
D. the will to power.
17. The will to power is symbolized by
A. Buck's killing Spitz.
B. Hal's arguing with Charles.
C. Thornton's rifle.
D. Buck's becoming friends with Thornton.
18. Frangois and Perrault are
A. gold diggers from California.
B. dog trainers from Alaska.
C. agents of the Canadian government.
D. drivers of the mail train.
19. Who saves Buck from impending death at the hands of Hal?
A. John Thornton
B. Judge Miller
20. Which one of the following words best describes Hal, Mercedes, and Charles?
And what is your thinking? We will be happy to critique your work. This is a great book.
1)b 2)c 3)c 4)d 5)b 6)c 7)b 8)b 9)a
10)c 11)a 12)c 13)a 14)b 15)d 16)d
17)a 18)c 19)a 20)d
1.B 2.C 3.C 4.D 5.B 6.C 7.B 8.B 9.A 10.B 11.A 12.D 13.A 14.B 15.D 16.C 17.A 18.C 19.A 20.D
1)B 2)C 3)C 4)D 5)D 6)C 7)B 8)B 9)C
10)B 11)A 12)C 13)A 14)B 15)D 16)C
17)A 18)D 19)A 20)D