O.Chem -> PLEASE CHECK!!
posted by K .
Please check these out for me, if I am correct:
Match the following statements with SN1 or SN2 reactions:
1) The order of reactivity in alkyl halides is methyl>primary>secondary>tertiary
2) There is an intermediate carbocation
3) The rate-limiting step involves the alkyl halide and the nucleophile
4) The rate-limiting step involves the formation of an intermediate carbocation
#1 = SN2
#2 = SN1
#3 = SN1
#4 = SN1
Arrange the leaving groups in order of increasing leaving group ability.(least first):
I) Cl (with neg. charge)
II) I (with neg. charge)
III) Br (with neg. charge)
IV) F (with neg. charge)
I think that the order should be:
I^-, Br^-, Cl^-, F^- (or: IV, I, III, II)?????
Rank the anticipated order of boiling points for this set of compounds.( highest to lowest)):
1) CH_3CH_2OCH_2CH_3 (ie.CH3CH2OCH2CH3)
I think that the order should be: 4,2,1,3...???
christina &/or Dr.Russ -
So do these look to be as though I am on the right track with my answers to the above questions???
Except, for the FIRST question...I think that #3 should be SN2, rather than SN1 (substitution reactions).