math

posted by .

Consider yourself a genetic counselor. Megan and Eric come to you for your services. They are planning on having their first child. Megan’s father died from Huntington’s disease. Eric’s family has no history of Huntington’s disease. They would like to have the following questions answered before they undertake the awesome responsibility of parenthood.

1. What is the probability Megan will develop the symptoms of Huntington’s disease? (Assume her mother was hh.) Show the sample space.
2. What is the probability that their first child will develop Huntington’s disease?
*ive tried to work it out and talk to my professor will not help me, please help!!!!

  • math -

    Apparently you tried to copy and past the questions -- but it didn't work. Please type the questions.

    Then post the answers that you think should be answered. We'll be glad to comment on your answers.

  • math -

    1.What is the probability Megan will develop the symptoms of Huntington’s disease? (Assume her mother was hh.) Show the sample space.--50%
    2.What is the probability that their first child will develop Huntington’s disease?--25% chance having disease, 75% chance doesnt have disease
    3.If Megan and Eric have three children, what is the probability that at least one of them will have Huntington’s disease? Round to the nearest tenth of a percent.--each kid has same chance
    4.If Megan and Eric have two children, what is the probability that at least one of the will have Huntington’s disease? Round to the nearest tenth of a percent.--each kid has same chance

  • math -

    Your first two answers are correct. However, the 3rd and 4th questions ask what is the probability that one of their children will have the disease. You're right that each child has the same chance -- 1 of 4. But the more children this couple has, the more chances are that at least one child will have the disease.

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. biology / CELEISTINE

    describe the genetics of the huntigton disease a. what chromosomes are affected?
  2. soc313: implication of medical issues

    Discuss psychosocial issues in Huntington's disease. Some of the issues may be from the following list. Use at least 3 of the following or 3 of your own, and provide a resource for your findings. Respond to at least one other student …
  3. Biology

    The father of a mating pair expresses Huntington disease. The mother is healthy. What is the recurrence risk for the offspring?
  4. Anatomy and Physiology

    A young child has a neurological disorder that causes spastic paralysis. What disease does this child most likely have?
  5. genetics

    1. Long wings (L) in fruit flies is dominant to short wings (l). If you had a fruit fly with long wings, what mating would you set up to test if it was LL or Ll genotype?
  6. Science

    In order for a child to inherit a recessive genetic disease, like sickle cell anemia, healthy parents must both A. have the disease B. be homozygous for the mutated gene that causes the disease. C. be carries of the mutated gene that …
  7. bayside hs

    One genetic disease was tested positive in both parents of one family. It has been known that any child in this family has a 25% risk of inheriting this disease. A family has three children. The probability of this family having at …
  8. Science

    1. A pea plant with yellow seeds is crossed with a pea plant with green seeds. All of the offspring have yellow seeds. The allele for yellow seeds is A. dominant because all of the offspring has yellow seeds** B. recessive because …
  9. social studies

    is it possible for a child born to a parent with huntington's disease to not develop the disease later in life
  10. Statistics

    Sickle cell anemia is a genetic blood disorder where red blood cells lose their flexibility and assume an abnormal, rigid, "sickle" shape, which results in a risk of various complications. If both parents are carriers of the …

More Similar Questions