posted by Tychicus .
Any help with the following questions would be greatly appreciated!
1) What is the fuel source in nuclear power plants? How is that energy harvested from the source?
2) How does the fuel source used in power plants differ from the fuel source used in nuclear bombs?
3) What other than as an energy source is nuclear radiation used for?
Thanks. That answered the first one!
2) The fuel source in a nuclear power plants is controlled (we hope) but nuclear weapons are made to go wild.
3) Two that come to mind quickly are
a. irradiation of food for killing bacteria.
b. nuclear medicine (bone scans, heart scans, etc).
Oh! That makes sense. Thank you!
The fuel for nuclear bombs is produced as a byproduct of nuclear power plants.