Branches of English
Recent English Questions
What is the theme of the poem Home for the Aged? Home For the Aged by Elizabeth Brewster: The old men sit, five of them on a bench, Half sleeping, half awake, dazed by the sun, In the muted afternoon, between one broadcast ball game and the next Their thoughts are leaves that ...
Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 11:32pm
I must complete an essay analyzing the atmosphere and how it's portrayed in Home for the Aged by Elizabeth Brewster.My question is how does the use of descriptive detail establish the atmosphere? I do not know what the atmosphere is in this poem and I am confused on the ...
Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 9:45pm
Topic: Literature I'm doing an essay for my coursework on 'Romeo and Juliet' and 'Macbeth'. For my essay i have to compare the presentation of women, with focus on Lady Macbeth and Juliet. I have to focus on language, stage craft, characterization and the ...
Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 1:25pm
1. I usually play basketball in the basketball court. 2. I play golf with my friends in the golf course. 3. I play tennis in the school tennis court. 4. I play volleyball in the beach volleyball court. 5. I play dodgeball in the school gym. 6. I do weight lifteing in the ...
Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 1:56am
1. I have to do scince and math homework tonight. 2. I have to do my science and math homework. ------------ Are both grammatical? Which one is commonly used? Do you have other way of expressing?
Saturday, November 29, 2014 at 1:49am
1. which factor best explains why native americans were able to make permanent settlements? native americans began to cultivate plants for food. native americans began to create more complex tools and pottery. native americans discovered alternative food sources,such as ...
Friday, November 28, 2014 at 3:36pm
You___determined to write an A paper for your English class,___ you? a. were, weren't b.was, wasn't c. am ,aren't d. is , isn't I am think A My bus driver __to make up for the time he while__a flat tire. A.hurried,fixed b.hurry,fix c.hurried,fixing d.hurried,...
Friday, November 28, 2014 at 2:16pm
Which of the following is the repetition of consonants as in hip and hop? A. assonance B. consonance C. alliteration D. onomatopoeia I am putting B, Do you agree with my answer?
Friday, November 28, 2014 at 11:05am
In Summer, the line Bugs buzzin from cousin to cousin illustrates which sound device? A. alliteration B. assonance C. onomatopoeia D. all of the above I believe it is D, Do you agree?
Friday, November 28, 2014 at 10:42am
1. You can't buy alcohol until you are twenty years old. 2. You can't buy drinks until you are twenty years old. 3. You can't buy wine until you are twenty years old. 4. You can't buy beeer until you are twenty years old. --------------------------- Are they ...
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 8:00pm
1. I can't put off that noise. 2. I can't tolerate that noise. 3. I can't endure that noise. 4. I can't stand that noise. 5. I can't be patient with that noise. 6. I can't bear that noise. ----------------- Are they all right?
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 7:38pm
1. He has taken piano lessons for five years. 2. He has been taking piano lessons for five years. 3. He has worked for three hours on the farm. 4. He has been working for three hours on the farm. ------------------ Are they all grammatical? Which ones are grammatical and ...
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 7:35pm
Hey, can someone help me out how to use punctuation in this sentence please. 'I was aware that the medicaments and therapeutics are a heavy subject and I remembered how overloading this topic seemed to me when I was in first year myself hence I was eager to make the ...
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 8:49am
"Why I refused." is a sentence while "How to make both ends meet." is a fragment. I can turn it into I am learning how to make both ends meet. Is this correct?
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 8:20am
this sentence has faulty parallelism and i need to correct it. "Jessa is tall, slender, and has brown hair." I think it's Jessa is tall, slender with brown hair. OR Jessa is tall and slender. She has a brown hair. What do you think? please help thank you!!
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 8:11am
can you please tell me if this is a sentence or fragment: The plan to have a class reunion. I think it's a sentence but idk because i can continue it by adding "is cancelled" in the end. How to know if it's already a sentence? of it's still a fragment? ...
Thursday, November 27, 2014 at 7:01am
1. He looked for a chair to sit on. 2. He looked for a chair which he could sit on. 3. He looked for a chair which he would sit on. --------------------- Does #1 mean #2 or #3?
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 at 9:29pm
1. Mr. Gates has four sons. One lives in Chicago, and the others live in L.A. 2. Mr. Gates has four sons. One lives in Chicago, and the rest live in L.A. 3. Mr. Gates has four sons. One lives in Chicago, and the rest lives in L.A. (Which ones are correct? are they the same in ...
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 at 8:40pm
The old fisherman floated on the Black Sea, boat bobbing from side to side as a frigid wind sliced through his threadbare sweater. Though the fisherman and his wife were struggling to survive without much money, he thought happily of the meager but delicious dinner of homemade...
Wednesday, November 26, 2014 at 10:43am
1. However hot it is, he never turns on air conditioner to save electricity. 2. However hot it is, he never turns on the air conditioner to save electricity. 3. However hot it is, he never turns on an air conditioner to save electricity. 4. However hot it may be, he never ...
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 11:54pm
english 9!! (hunger games)
what are the differences between the capitol and other districts looking upon: a.Food b. Shelter c. Work d. Recreation e. Safety i have to make a graphic orgnaizer please help!!
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 8:58pm
Hi. I was asked to watch a video about the civil rights movement. and state 3 big ideas and to explain why I made them my 3 big ideas I put Freedom Equality Justice and explained why .. Is that 3 ideas ? Next part they asked How would the story be different if Kurt Vonnegut ...
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 2:21pm
John took off his helmet, turnout gear, and boots in the truck room and hung the jacket on his assigned peg. Just above the peg was a handmade label that read, FF#121 Wilson. John still felt a sudden surge of pride every time he looked at the label. His father ...
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 10:23am
1. This book is worth reading. 2. It is worth to read this book. 3. This book is worth to read. 4. It is worth while to read this book. ------------------- Which ones are grammatical? Do we have other patterns using 'worth'?
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 8:43am
1. They believe that Mary lives in Chicago. 2. Mary is believed to live in Chicago. -------- 3. They think that Mary lives in Chicago. 4. Mary is thought to live in Chicago. -------- 5. They know that Mary lives in Chicago. 6. Mary is known to live in Chicago. --------- 7. It ...
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 2:06am
1. As I have seen the movie twice, I don't want to see the movie again. 2. As I saw the movie twice, I don't want to see the movie again. -------------------- Which sentence is grammatical?
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 2:01am
do these following sentences contain appositives? Most people, those of any age, enjoy music The core root of all the problems in the school, including uncleanliness of bathrooms and bad teachers, is the low budget given to the principal.
Tuesday, November 25, 2014 at 1:28am
I just went to buy some groceries to cook supper when I come home to see my beloved husband on the floor. I was shocked and horrified to even think what happened. Can someone check if my grammar, punctuation is alright? Also can someone help me to make my sentence even stronger .
Monday, November 24, 2014 at 7:21pm
My teammates and___ practice every day after classes are over. a.I b.me c.my d.us I am think a ___ said in our orientation that we much make our decisions about how we are going to make a difference. A.It B.Our Leader C. They D. Them I am think B ____of my friends believe__ ...
Monday, November 24, 2014 at 6:57pm
What is an example of morbidity in "The Fall Of the House of Usher" by Edgar Allan Poe ? I know what morbidity is but it's hard finding an example in the story so can you please help me find an example of it.
Monday, November 24, 2014 at 6:44pm
So i have to do this newspaper article about the lamb to the slaughter.. What would be a creative headline.. this is the situation i am doing it on.. The seemingly unsolved murder of Patrick Maloney is reported .
Monday, November 24, 2014 at 5:03pm
Choose the statement which is not suitable for the passage above? 1. "I" didn't have breakfast. 2. "I" usually get up late. 3........ 4......... 5........ -------------------------- Why is the quotation mark is used as in "I"? What is the role...
Monday, November 24, 2014 at 7:09am
1. It is not far from here. 2. It takes three hours from here to the station by car. --------------------------- Does "it" in each sentence have the same function? Does the "two it's" have the same grammatical role?
Monday, November 24, 2014 at 7:00am
Rochester says, "God pardon me!" and "Man, meddlee not with me" after Jane agrees to marry him because... Need to finish the sentence. This question is referring to the book, Jane Eyre.
Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 12:30am
Where can I find information on the difference between English policing and American policing, without using wikipedeia? I found some information but is not showing a difference. Thank you
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 9:42pm
I want to thank you for advice and help in my English course. On my 9 page final I missed 7 questions, but what was so bad it was on complex and compound complex sentences my weakness I knew. I made 93 on final. I have a 96.83 grade average for course. Again Thank You for help...
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 6:10pm
English MS Sue
Got my final exam test graded.i made a 93. he praised me for only missing 7 questions And they all were on the complex or compound complex sentences which were my weakness I know. proud that I got a 96.83 average for course. Thank You for the help and telling me of the sites ...
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 6:06pm
What are the benefits of having a first person narrator in The Fall of The House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe What is the significance of the lake, fissure in the wall, and Usher's sister in the short story?
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 2:58pm
i have to write a literary analysis on Romeo and Juliet. This what i did so far, In the story Romeo and Juliet, Romeo wanted to live happily with Juliet despite the hatred between their families. "Here's much to do with hate, but more with love," he ...
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 1:10pm
1. Let me call roll to make sure you're all here. 2. Let's decide the turns first. Who would like to go first? 3. Could you please fetch it from the staff room? 4. Could you please fetch it from the teachers' room? 5. Could you please fetch it from the teacher'...
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 7:33am
1. Kevin seems to have forgotten the appointment. 2. Kevin seems to have forgot the appointment. -------------- Which one is right? Do we have to use 'forgot' or 'forgotten'?
Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 1:24am
7) Presidents job approval rating is frequently reported in news programs. You will hear statements such as: Among likely voters, the Presidents job approval rating is 46% with a margin of error of 6%. a) What percent confidence interval do you think ...
Friday, November 21, 2014 at 7:18pm
AP English Literature: The Odyssey
Hello. I am in need of some help with these following questions about The Odyssey: 1. When Odysseus finally lands upon the island of the Phaiacians, what happens which leads him to come out of disguise and reveal his true identity? A. Athena vows to protect him and tells him ...
Friday, November 21, 2014 at 7:04pm
A thermostat is a device used to adjust the temperature indoors. Which of the following explanations best interprets the author's intended meaning in the bolded words in following sentence? "The Church was a thermostat that transformed the mores of society." ...
Friday, November 21, 2014 at 3:27pm
1. His failure is mainly due to his carelessness. 2. His failure is mainly because of his carelessness. 3. His failure is mainly owing to his carelessness. --------------------- Are they all the same and grammatical?
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 11:51pm
Please Help me with the closing any suggestions Overall, how the delivery was characterized and how he used the presentational aids, made me understand how to present a speech.. The strength that the speaker had on his speech was the tone of voice, and his gestures. An ...
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 10:20pm
17. How is a compound sentence formed? A. By joining a simple sentence with a dependent clause B. By joining two simple sentences with a comma and a coordinate conjunction C. By joining two independent clauses and one dependent clause D. By joining a dependent and independent ...
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 7:57pm
7. Which sentence contains italicized words that are used as an infinitive phrase? A. Tom went there for some flour. B. Kelly went to the grocery store. C. Mark wanted to go, but not today. D. Jane parked her car behind a truck. These words are italicized..... A.for some flour...
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 5:24pm
Question 1 (Multiple Choice Worth 5 points) Which element relies on logic, credibility, and emotion? rhetorical devices theme statements purpose statements thesis statements Question 2 (Multiple Choice Worth 5 points) "AT this second appearing to take the oath of the ...
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 5:22pm
4. Which one of these sentences contains a prepositional phrase? A. Trolls live under bridges; elves do not. B. Where did you find the papers that I lost? C. You may think otherwise, but what I tell you is true. D. To be, or not to be: that is the question. I'm thinking A?
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 4:06pm
English help please
The sides of a square are increased by a scale factor of 7. The perimeter of thr smaller square is 16 ft. What is the perimrter of the larger square? A. 4 ft B. 28 ft C. 56 ft D. 112 ft Is the answer A? Thank you
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 3:09pm
All of the following items are expressed in the subjunctive except _____. a wish a condition contrary to fact a that clause expressing necessity a statement of fact
Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 10:29am
1. When there are no more trees, the land will become a desert. 2. When thre are not any more trees, the land will become a desert. 3. When there are not trees any more, the land will become a desert. ---------------- Are they all the same in meaning?
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 11:49pm
What is another word for strong, as in strong in the mind and will not fall even at the toughest times. But I don't want to use strong-minded because that is more like determined. So, what is another characteristic for strong but it does not mean determined
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 9:38pm
3rd grade English
I'm trying too see if my daughter is doing her homework correctly .... The question is use each word or phrase as the subject of a sentence .add a verb describing an action that takes place in the present . Make sure each verb agrees with its subject Her answer was - the ...
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 7:50pm
Just to say Thank YOU everyone for the advice and help I have received. I have turned in my final exam. It was 9 pages and yes, I had to ask for advice and help, but I have really learned a lot. I will let ya'll know my outcome. It is nice to learn something new everyday!
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 4:37pm
Birches by Robert Frost When I see birches bend to left and right Across the lines of straighter darker trees, I like to think some boy's been swinging them. But swinging doesn't bend them down to stay As ice-storms do. Often you must have seen them Loaded with ice a ...
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 3:33pm
I asked a question before about bullying. Can you please check for improvements on this paragraph and suggest any improvements to make it more ineresting. Thank you. He strides towards one of the girls, who carried a large rucksack, which sagged with a lack of life. Looking ...
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 3:08pm
All of the following plural nouns except a.flies b.themselves. c. ladys. d.proofs I am think d All of the following compound nouns are correct except a.editors in chief. b.sons-in-law. c.bird watchers. d.mother-in-laws. I am think b or d
Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 2:49pm