Branches of English
Recent English Questions
Which sentence is correct? A. The company closed their offices. B. The company closed its offices. C. The company closed it's offices. D. The company closed there offices. C
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:59pm
Identify the correct sentence. A. I did my homework when the doorbell was ringing. B. I do my homework when the doorbell is ringing. C. I was doing my homework when the doorbell rang. D. I was doing my homework when the doorbell rung C
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:55pm
Identify the correct sentence. A. When you will come to Florida next week, we can go out for dinner. B. When you come to Florida next week, we can go out for dinner. C. When you are coming to Florida next week, we can go out to dinner. D. When you be coming to Florida next ...
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:55pm
Which sentence is correct? A. Has everyone brought their stapler? B. Neither of the girls brought their book to class. C. None of the glasses were in its place. D. Some of the children forgot their notebooks. D
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:54pm
Paraphrase this line by line: I don't understand this.. In tragedy, man is a paradox in a paradoxical existence. Fallible and vulnerable in his mortal finity, he is yet capable of transcendent greatness. Freely exercising his will (a passive hero is pathetic rather than ...
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:53pm
When I __________ to pay my restaurant bill, I realized I __________ my credit card at home. A. try; forget B. tried; have forgotten C. tried; had forgotten D. tried; had forgot C
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:51pm
can you please help me on word study with writing with idioms ? 1. sick as a dog 2. the best of both worlds 3. under the weather 4. nest eggs 5. when pigs fly 6. slip through the cracks 7. go to seed 8 . thorn in your side 9. turn over a new leaf 10. fifth wheel 11. pitch in ...
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 8:21pm
1. Which of the following sentences uses capitalization CORRECTLY? (1 point) A.) You can find the complete list of Senators online. B.) Have you ever read The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling? C.)The Maryland Blue Crabs have become a symbol of the state. I think it is B..? 2...
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 10:15am
1. They didn't have green leaves yet. 2. She didn't finish her homework yet. 3. He didn't clean the room yet. 4. She didn't read the book yet. (Are all the sentences grammatical?)
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 1:25am
1. I didn't read Harry Potter yet. 2. I haven't read Harry Potter yet. 3. I don't know anything yet. 4. I didn't know anything yet. 5. He is not singing yet. 6. He was not singing yet. (Which ones are grammatical?)
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 at 12:06am
A body paragraph in an essay is one that: A. expounds upon the thesis of the essay. B. brings closure to the piece. C. features footnoted information. D. introduces the ideas that will be covered in the essay. A
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:51pm
Carla and __________ don't think it is a good idea for __________ girls to go to Tom's Halloween party tomorrow night. A. them; us B. they; we C. them; we D. they; us c
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:50pm
The topic sentence of a body paragraph: A. introduces the thesis statement. B. outlines one thesis point. C. is developed during the proofreading step. D. summarizes the essays main points. D
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:41pm
Which of the following is a compound sentence? A. After it began to rain, he could not find his umbrella. B. They met after work for a game of tennis. C. She liked her neighbors, but she rarely saw them. D. The afternoon meeting extended into the evening hours. A
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:38pm
Which of the following is a complex sentence? A. She was invited to the party, but she had already made other plans. B. He wasnt hungry because he had a late lunch. C. The dog followed her around the apartment all day long. D. Initially, the conference seemed unimportant...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:33pm
Choose the correct sentence. A. Whom do you think you are? B. Give the ledger to Mr. Bon or me. C. Either me or you should win first place. D. The secret is between Joe and I. B
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:19pm
Choose the version of the sentence below that has correctly placed modifiers. A. Coughing and sputtering, Alan steered the old car to the side of the road. B. The old car was coughing and sputtering as Alan steered it to the side of the road. C. The car Alan was driving ...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:17pm
Juanita sent the two __________ reports to __________ yesterday afternoon. A. technicians'; headquarters B. technicians; headquarter's C. technician's; headquarters' D. technicians'; headquarters' A
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:14pm
A dependent clause and an independent clause joined together form a: A. compound sentence. B. simple sentence. C. compound-complex sentence. D. complex sentence. D
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:09pm
A sentence that consists of two or more main clauses and no subordinate clause is a: A. compound sentence. B. compound-complex sentence. C. complex sentence. D. simple sentence A
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:07pm
Next year (sophomore year) I'm taking the following courses: Honors Algebra II/Trig Spanish III Health AP Biology Honors English AP World History Is AP Bio and world history hard? or no it's not just the exam. Please tell me because this is my first year taking AP.
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 8:00pm
Check English Answers
Please check my answers: 1)pathos 2)thesis statements 3)Lincoln promises retribution for war 4)Ethos 5)Theme 1)"On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. ...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 2:26pm
Question about Nora's children in the book the A Doll's house.? 1. What have you Learned from My Mother? Write three short paragraphs, one from the point of view of each of Nora's children, describing. what the children feel they've learned from their mother. i...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 2:09pm
1)"On the occasion corresponding to this four years ago all thoughts were anxiously directed to an impending civil war. All dreaded it, all sought to avert it. While the inaugural address was being delivered from this place, devoted altogether to saving the Union without ...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 1:47pm
1)We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. These lines from the Declaration of ...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 1:45pm
In each stanza of Dioondra's peom "If", she seems to wonder whether. The mountains can reach into the clouds People will laugh at her work or appreciate it She can find a job painting windowsills She could survive a storm in a raging
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:50am
1. Imagine you are writing a research paper on social networking sites. Which of the following thesis statements would be the most effective? A. Social networking sites have become incredibly popular in recent years and have millions of members. Many of these sites are now ...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 9:28am
1. He is honest in himself. (Is this sentence grammatical? What is the meaning of 'in himself' then?) 2. He must be angry because she's not saying anything. 3. He has to be angry because she's not saying anything. (Are both the same and grammatical?) 4. He must...
Monday, April 14, 2014 at 2:38am
Which option below would make the following statement parallel? She insisted the presentation not only begin on time but: A. it will be closed to anyone who arrived late. B. conclude 10 minutes earlier than scheduled. C. that she be allowed extra time afterward for questions ...
Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 7:02pm
Choose the version of the sentence below that has correctly placed modifiers. A. Carrie said that there was nothing like a cold soft drink, frosty and foaming, on a hot day. B. Frosty and foaming, Carrie said that there was nothing like a cold soft drink on a hot day. C. A ...
Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 7:01pm
I need to know the prepositions in the following question. The patient is a 42-year-old male with a history of left shoulder osteomyelitis wit resistant pseudomonas from an injury he sustained approximately 20 years ago.
Sunday, April 13, 2014 at 11:41am
1. You should do it yourself. 2. You should do it itself. Are both grammatical? ----------------- 3. She must be angry because she's not saying anything. 4. She has to be angry because she's not saying anything. Are both grammatical and commonly used?
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 11:16pm
1. The girl dressed herself up for the audition? 2. The girl dressed herself for the audition? ------------- What is the difference between the two sentences? Does 'up' mean 'completely' in Sentence 1?
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 10:59pm
1. I feel comfortable in myself. 2. I talked out loud of myself. 3. There is a gap between myself. ------------- Are the sentences all grammatical? If not, would you correct each sentence? Thank you.
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 10:00pm
1. Each of us has something to do. 2. We each have something to do. ---------- Do we have to us 'have' in Sentence 2? How come? 3. Do you like the game? - Yes, I like it. ------------- Is 'it' a personal pronoun or a demonstrative pronoun?
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 9:58pm
1. You have to study hard to get into university. 2. You have to study hard to go into university. 3. You have to study hard to enter university. 4. You have to study hard to enter the university. (Are the four sentences all grammatical and the same?)
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 9:55pm
1. In 1789, the National Assembly revoked the privileges of the aristocracy. This occurred in reaction to A. a peasant uprising. B. Louis XVI's withdrawal of troops from Paris. C. discontent among the poor people of Paris. D. the storming of the Bastille 2. What was ...
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 5:14pm
IT IS END OF THIRD QUARTER AND MY IB ENGLISH GRADE IS A B!!!! MY GOAL WAS TO GET AN A BUT...... ****IF GET AN A ON THE FOURTH QUARTER, WILL MY GPA GO UP!!! I GOT A'S ON ALL OF THE OTHER CLASSES EXCEPT IB ENGLISH......... ***********SO WOULD MY GPA BUMP BACK UP IF I GET AN ...
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 4:46pm
Please check if my answer is correct... Identify the INCORRECTLY punctuated sentence. In softball, pitchers throw the ball underhand; in baseball, the ball is thrown overhand. Ice hockey is played on a rink; but field hockey is played outdoors. Another difference...
Friday, April 11, 2014 at 12:39pm
Lesson 6.07 Letter to a Citizen of Kentucky, an excerpt Executive Mansion, Washington, April 4, 1864. A. G. Hodges, Esq., Frankfort, Ky. My Dear Sir: You ask me to put in writing the substance of what I verbally stated the other day, in your presence, to Governor Bramlette and...
Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 12:37pm
A: What would you like to have? B: A hamburger, please. A: For here or to go? B: To go. ----------------- What does 'to go' mean? 1. I'll take. 2. I'll take it out. We can use #2 instead of ' To go.' What about #1? Can't we use #1? What is the ...
Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 3:16am
1. Each of us has something to do. 2. We each have something to do. (Are both grammatical? in #1 we us 'has,' and 'in #2 we use 'have.') 3. All the books were expensive. 4. All the people were surprised. 5. All are old things. 6. All is old things. 7. All ...
Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 2:03am
Which one of the following sentences includes a possessive pronoun? A. She will never agree to that. B. She stood up for people's rights. C. He is a mighty opponent. D. Its paws were caked in mud
Thursday, April 10, 2014 at 1:27am
Do you know what the 5 OMM costs of a restaurant would be. I know what the 5 OMM costs are (raw materials and components costs, plant costs, labor costs, inventory costs, and distribution costs) but I need to know what they would be for a restaurant.
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 10:52pm
English 9R - Civil Disobedience Essay Check (PLZ!)
Please check my essay for any grammar errors and anything, because my English teacher grades HARD and I really want a 100 on this essay. I spend HOURS writing this and I really appreciate if you check. Thank You! :) here it is: Civil disobedience is "refusal to obey laws ...
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 6:38pm
Fascinated,Nina stared at the stranger.Who was standing in the doorway. She wondered if she could convince him they had met before. Where is the fragment and how do I fix it?
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 6:25pm
have to point out the ethical dilemmas(so I think problems when adapting and what people in social work adaption receive in terms of wages and hours in different states and the job outlook in general. Thank you!
Wednesday, April 9, 2014 at 5:33pm
To protect the environment, what do you have to do? 1. I'd better use less water. 2. I'd better take the stairs instead of the elevator. 3. I'd better ride my bike to school. 4. I'd better use less electricity. 5. I'd better not use paper cups or plates. 6...
Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 9:44pm
1. An essay-type exam is an example of a(n): 2. A discussion board in an online course can be another form of: 3. Explain, discuss, analyze, state, and evaluate are examples of __________ words in an essay-type exam
Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 10:15am
Which of the following sentences uses CORRECT punctuation? A.) Sharks are considered dangerous predators, however, a deep-sea diver says sharks can be playful creatures, too. B.) Sharks are considered dangerous predators; however, a deep-sea diver says sharks can be playful ...
Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 8:16am
1. Stop at the red light. 2. Stop on the red light. (Which preposition should we use?) 3. Turn slightly right. 4. This is a one-way street. (Are both grammatical?) 5. Fill it up with regular unleaded, please. 6. Fill her up with regular, please. 7. Fill it up with the unleaded...
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 11:02pm
Before you leave, make sure to lock the door. 1. - Of course, I will. 2. - Sure, I will. 3. - OK, I will. 4. - I know, Mom. 5. - I see, Mom. (Are the answers all correct and natural?)
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 10:51pm
Rewrite the sentences in standard English. 1. Hey, toss me that pencil. A: Please, give me that pencil. 2. So what's up with you? A: What are you doing? 3. She thought the concert was so cool. A: She thought the concert was excellent. 4. These directions are making me ...
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 10:30pm
Which of the following resulted from King Philip’s War? A. The Indians lost most of their land in southern New England. B. The English established praying towns for the Indians. C. The Puritans nearly eliminated the Pequots. D. The colonists gave land back to the Indians...
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 9:19pm
Identify the part of speech or the form of a part of speech in the underlined portion of the next sentence. The groundhog looked down and saw its shadow. A. Preposition B. Conjunction C. Adjective D. Adverb down is the underlines word I think it is D
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 9:18pm
When you need to find a more precise word to express your meaning, the best place to check would be a: A. pocket dictionary. B. reference manual. C. thesaurus. D. dictionary of antonyms. C
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 8:49pm
__________ is/are located at the top of each page in the dictionary and tell you the first and last word on the page. A. Front matter B. Back matter C. Entries D. Guide words D
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 8:47pm
Identify the part of speech or the form of a part of speech in the underlined portion of the next sentence. Exhausted and tired, I went home and immediately collapsed on the couch. A. Noun B. Verb C. Adjective D. Adverb immediately is the underlined word D
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 8:46pm
Identify the part of speech or the form of a part of speech in the underlined portion of the next sentence. The children steadily eased themselves into the cold water of the neighborhood pool. A. Common noun B. Proper noun C. Pronoun D. Adjective I think it is B
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 8:29pm
1. How is paraphrasing different from summarizing? A.) Paraphrasing uses quotation marks B.) Paraphrasing only contains the most important details C.) Paraphrasing expresses the same concept with different wording I think it is B or C..? 2. You are writing a paper about ...
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 8:05pm
1. I saw him swim in the river. 2. I saw him swimming in the river. --------------------------------- What is the difference between the two sentences? Does #1 mean that I saw all the process of his swimming from beginning to end? Does #2 mean that I saw the person who was ...
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 6:43pm
Tell what person, what type, and how you know. Mr. Morton knew the students were running out of time, but he felt that he needed to give an example of the activity, so he did. One of his students raised his hand. "Yes?" Mr. Morton asked. "I know I'm going to...
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 10:20am
1. He is the man whom I want to talk to. 2. He is the man who I want to talk to. (Are both OK? 3. He is the man to whom I want to talk. 4. He is the man to who I want to talk. (#4 is incorrect, right? What about #3?)
Monday, April 7, 2014 at 3:01am
Revising often involves A. making an outline B. Makes substainial changes in content C. making grammar corrections D. making changes without a computer I think it is B
Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 10:29pm
"Mental distance" from a rough draft can be achieved by: A. waiting 24 hours before revising B. revising in a different place from where you have finished your revisions C. not sharing your draft until you have finished the revisions D. Using a computer spell-check ...
Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 10:16pm
Identify the part of speech or the form of speech in the underlines portion of the next sentence. Sleeping is my favorite hobby. A. Helping Verb B. Gerund C. Being Verb D. Infinitive I think it is B..
Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 10:11pm
To Anonymous - English Help
I'm sorry but I accidentally removed your post. Homework Help: English help Posted by Anonymous on Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 9:51pm. To look with admiration at someone or something is to ______ but to look at something very closely is to _____. If we seek to verify ...
Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 9:55pm
Quick English help
Put the following words in the correct place in these sentences. Revoke, Provoke, Invoke A. If we put something off until later, we _____ it. And something done for posterity is done for ____. If a Congressional Medal of Honor is awarded posthumously, it indicates that the ...
Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 9:48pm