Branches of English
Recent English Questions
Peter attends 6 dance lessons each week, all year long. There are 52 weeks in a year. Peter missed 5 dance lessons while sick. How many dance lessons did Peter attend during the year?
Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 4:42pm
Which sentence would to grammatically correct? 1) Remember never to do that ever again. 2) Remember to never do that ever again. 3) Remember to never to do that ever again.
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 9:02pm
The mean of Susan's math and science scores is 74 points. The mean of her math and English scores is 83 points. How many more points did Susan score in English than in science?
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 7:29pm
Why am i bad at Reading Comprehension - English
i am good at English but every time we have a reading comprehension, i either fail it or get a bad mark. WHY. all i have to do is read it and answer question of what i just read. But i still get a bad mark. How can i prepare myself for the next one. i wan tot be good at it. By...
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 6:02pm
maths literacy geog business studies bio English a
What can I study after school with the following subjects maths literacy business studies bio English lo Afrikaans geog
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 3:01pm
What is an example of dramatic irony in Hard Times? I think the answer is b When the audience knows that Stephen changed his name before Mr. Bounderby knows When the audience knows that Mrs. Gradgrind is dying When the audience knows that Thomas asked Stephen to wait outside ...
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 11:42am
Which represents a way for the author to draw attention to the thoughts of a subject-matter expert? I think its c. A photograph A table of contents A pulled-out quote Bulleted points
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 10:54am
I just want to know if this paragraph is right, and it doesn't contain grammatical errors. Thank you for the answer! "I brought with me this biscuit, banana and chocolate, which characterize my current eating habbit. In the exam period students think that they don'...
Wednesday, December 17, 2014 at 5:57am
Word box : 1st Amendment, 5th Amendment, Fear that strong gov would violate personal liberties, Baron Charles de Montesquieu, John Locke, responsibilities of citizenship, religous freedom, economic opportuinities, William Blackstone, Adam Smith, Political ecomonic and legal ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 6:09pm
The sentence is 'What we forgot to mention was that we will be moving in the spring.' I found a clause, it's a noun clause. It's 'that we will be moving in the spring.' I think it's being used as a direct object. We is the subject. Forgot is the ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 3:13pm
English - Writeteacher
39. Without her cat in her lap, she felt alone during the long train ride. simple sentence ***** compound sentence complex sentence compound-complex sentence 40. He steeled his nerve, and he walked into the police station to confess. simple sentence compound sentence...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 3:06pm
English - Writeteacher
6. She had a lengthy career as a WRITER and a FILMMAKER. compound direct object ****** compound predicate nominative compound subject compound verb 7.*Few of the applicants* made it through the grueling admissions process. Simple subject ********* complete predicate complete ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 2:33pm
3 The teacher asked the class to STAY put while she went to the office. transitive verb action verb auxiliary verb linking verb ******** 4 NEITHER whales NOR dolphins are fish, although many believe that they are. correlative conjunctions ***** coordinating conjunctions ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 2:20pm
The is the sentence I'm uncertain about: These old journals are wonderful to learn what life was like a century ago. I know the infinitive is 'to learn.' I think it is being used as an adverb. It's modifying the adjective 'wonderful.' It's not a ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 1:46pm
Apparently with no surprise, To any happy flower, The frost beheads it at its play, In accidental power. The blond assassin passes on. The sun proceeds unmoved, To measure off another day, For an approving God. In the above poem, which of the following might the frost ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 12:41pm
How has the political climate of boston changed since the beginning of the book? A. Previously, Bostonians considered themeselves loyal british subjects, but after parliament pass the tea act, they thought of themeselves as citizens of an independent nation B. Previously, ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 12:08pm
Apparently with no surprise, To any happy flower, The frost beheads it at its play, In accidental power. The blond assassin passes on. The sun proceeds unmoved, To measure off another day, For an approving God. In the above poem, which of the following might the flower ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 10:22am
Stupid Complicated English Grammar
1. Choose the sentence fragment. (Points : 5) Dew glistening on the tiny green leaves of the young plants. Although some of the seeds had already sprouted, these hadn't. A small herd of buffalo grazed in the valley below us. The wind, cold and powerful, swept through the ...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 10:02am
1. In works like "To Build a Fire," Naturalist writers such as Jack London advocated (Points : 5) trusting entirely in the wisdom and ingenuity of human beings. respect for the power and wildness of the natural world. remaining always within the protective boundaries...
Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 9:49am
Locate a brief passage (about a paragraph in length) from The Red Badge of Courage that describes the course of an assault using details and mental associations rather than factual or realistic representation. Contrast it with the following excerpt (written in the first person...
Monday, December 15, 2014 at 10:11pm
You may well ask, Why direct action? Why sit-ins, marches, etc.? Isn't negotiation a better path?" Which best describes the syntax of this passage? Im stuck with this Figurative Parallel Choppy Rhetorical
Monday, December 15, 2014 at 6:08pm
What is the meter of the following line from A Sybil by Rilke? Her age became too much to say Im confused and cant find an answer. Iambic pentameter Iambic tetrameter Trochaic pentameter Trochaic tetrameter
Monday, December 15, 2014 at 5:36pm
Type a short character sketch of a fictional Puritan named Justice Johnson based on what you have learned about the Puritans. Make certain that you describe how he dresses, how he lives, what he believes, how he spends his time--in short, describe him so that a stranger, who ...
Monday, December 15, 2014 at 8:34am
Hello can you plz tell be a good tieback i can use for my essay. the topic is resolution of conflict and i am doing all 4 characters from to kill a mockingbird. I dont know how to tieback a paragraph. Topic: what does the author develop on how the characters act in the midst ...
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 7:57pm
Quick english help
Please check & see if I classified these sentences as simple, complex, or compound correctly! 1. His tie is going to choke him unless we can get it off. (Is this a complex sentence?) 2. She laughed so hard until the teacher told her to stop. (Is this a complex sentence?) 3. ...
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 7:53pm
(1) Brenda would have liked to have taken her vacation at the beach. (2) However, the weather forecast on the television called for rain. (3) Also, her fiancé, Max, wanted to vacation in the mountains. (4) After a heated discussion, Brenda and Max decided to compromise...
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 6:11pm
In which one of these sentences does an adverb modify a verb? A. Lucy quickly hid behind the tree. B. The dress was terribly old. C. Jacob was a very smart boy. D. Mr. Dodge moved in an extremely slow manner. I think it's A?
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 6:04pm
I REALLY need help finding a use of Ethos in "Narrative of The Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave", chapter 8. Do not know if I should use part where they treat his grandmother badly after serving master for such a long time.
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 4:46pm
1) Drawing is very interesting subject. - intransitive 2) amal is adorable to his father - in. tran 3) A fisherman is a harworking man. - intransitive 4) Muhammed is not strong as his brother. Intransitive 5) There are many roses in my aunt's garden - Transitive 6) This ...
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 7:16am
One does not set fire to the roof and then go to bed. I think this is a compound sentence cos it has two sentences. "one does not set fire to the roof." and * is the coordinating conjunction "go to bed." what do you think?
Sunday, December 14, 2014 at 12:21am
English - The Round House
Joe Coutts narrates the The Round House as an adult, but its events take place when he is thirteen. Give one (1) example in The Round House in which Joe comments directly on the distance between his former thirteen-year-old self and the adult who tells the story. Thanks!!
Saturday, December 13, 2014 at 2:34pm
Word box : Mercantilism Religious Freedom Magna Carta English Bill of Rights Mayflower Compact Fundamental Orders of Conneticut Virginia House of Burgesses Navigation Acts 1. 1689 law that reinforced the idea of no taxation without representation and the right to petition the ...
Saturday, December 13, 2014 at 11:46am
1. Most of the money is spent to buy books. 2. Most of the money is used to buy books. 3. Most of the time was spent riding a bike. 4. Most of the water is spoiled. 5. Most of the playground is muddy. 6. Most of the apple was eaten by the kid. ------------------ Are they all ...
Saturday, December 13, 2014 at 5:37am
The excerpt has an example of what literary device? However, I altered my traps; and not to trouble you with particulars, going one morning to see my traps, I found in one of them a large old he-goat Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe I think it is paradox...
Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 8:36pm
1. It is of no use to cry like a baby. 2. It is no use crying like a baby. ------------- Are both the same and grammatical? Is 'it' a false subject? Is 'to cry like a baby' and 'crying like a baby' a real subject?
Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 7:49pm
1) In the story "A Meeting in the Dark," John's character advances the plot and communicates the theme through each of the following conflicts except. A)man vs. man B)man vs. nature C)man vs. society D)man vs. himself 2) Read the following sentences that reflects...
Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 9:38am
correct the fragments by combining the fragment introduced by a subordinate conjunction with the sentence before or after it to form a complex sentence. He had breakfast. Before he left for school. It was six o'clock. my answer: It was six o'clock. He had breakfast ...
Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 4:40am
1. However rich you may be, you can't buy it. 2. However rich you are, you can't buy it. 3. However cold it may be, you must not stay indoors all day. 4. However cold it is, you must not stay indoors all day. -------------------- Which expressions are correct? Are they...
Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 2:46am
Especially when the game is called life. There can be a champion in each of us, If we live as a winner, If we live as a member of the team, If we live with a hopeful spirit, For life. ----------------------------- This is a poem. What is the meaning of the last expression &...
Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 1:43am
I have this question on my homework to find six pieces of figurative language and six pieces of symbolism for the book The Barcode Tattoo by Suzanne Weyn. I could only find two though- the barcode and the Whiteface Mountain. Please help. Your help is very much appreciated. -...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 10:13pm
Where would I add commas in these sentences? 1. My favorite authors are Toni Morrison Kristin Hannah and William Shakespeare. 2. Some people think Benjamin Franklin is a former president but he is not. 3. The new student had a tiring hectic day. 4. Indeed true happiness does ...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 9:13pm
Which is correct? For this section, choose the answer choice that represents the correctly punctuated sentence. 1. A. The tall, dark, and handsome man was actually a con artist, and he fooled his friends for years. B. The tall, dark, and handsome man was actually a con artist ...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 9:08pm
English (The Renaissance: Unit 4)
"When in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes/I all alone beweep my outcast state..." What emotion is shakespeare describing in these lines from Sonnet 29? A. Anger B. Depression C. Contentment D. Awe **Depression**?
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 3:07pm
2. "Seven years thou wert lent to me, and I thee pay./Exacted by thy fate, on the just day." Which of these is nearest in meaning to the word exacted, as it is used in the passage above? A. Requested and received B. denied and rejected C. Demanded and collected D. ...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 2:38pm
Lesson 11 Test Someone halp For Questions 1-3, choose the word or phrase that best matches the word in italics. 1. She liked her new bedroom but she did not care for the *hue* of it's walls.
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 2:34pm
Which type of person is Merchant Lyte from Johnny Tremain A kind and generous B crass and sloppy C devious and manipulative D intelligent and hardworking is it C Which lines from the novel best supports the answer to the previous question? "He's sly". When the ...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 1:39pm
Which type of person is Merchant Lyte? A kind and generous B crass and sloppy C devious and manipulative D intelligent and hardworking Which lines from the novel best supports the answer to the previous question? A "He's sly" When merchants agreed not to import ...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 12:24pm
I need help with my research paper outline.(ARE THERE ANY MISTAKES?) According to (author/source)Michael Martinez and Jaqueline Hurtado(Date 2014/11/15) the main idea about this subject is the parents does not believe in what the government said and that they are not doing ...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 9:28am
English Check!! The Cay
The Cay Which of the following details from the exposition will most likely connect to the larger plot of the story? A)the german submarines are described as silent hungry sharks B)Phillips fathers name is also Phillip C) The Germans sink the Empire Tern as it leaves Curacao...
Wednesday, December 10, 2014 at 1:16am
My daughter has a worksheet due tomorrow and is stressing because she read the book Dragonwings and didn't get it at all and doesn't get the worksheet and i cant read it and help her,please help 1)Why doesn't Moon Shadow attend public school?How is he being ...
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 5:22pm
Writers often make common errors by writing the way they speak. Identify and explain the sentence structure error in the following sentence: Because Belinda wants to move to California.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 5:12pm
Writers often make common errors by omitting punctuation. Identify and explain the sentence structure error in the following sentence: Tabitha drove to school she took her math test she drove home in the afternoon.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 5:12pm
Writers often make common errors by adding improper punctuation. Identify and explain the sentence structure error in the following sentence: Terrance has collected sand from all of the exotic islands hes visited, his favorite sample is the green sand from Hawaii.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 5:11pm
Rewrite the following sentences in order to correct the punctuation. In the morning Shelby ate a peanut butter sandwich and an apple she rode her bike to school. After running the half marathon; Amelia was too tired to walk her dog.
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 2:31pm
I need help annotating an essay that I got. I need help finding rhetorical devices, ethos, pathos, and logos appeals. I also need help explaining why, forexample, a line or passage reflects an ethos appeal and so on. This is for "Concerning the Dangers from Foreign Force ...
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 12:36pm
Which of the following lines from the poem best shows the speaker's distaste for the situation? A)Silence. Silence transmission of Pressurized good breeding? B)OR VERY DARK?" Button B. Button A. Stench. C)Pushed dumbfounded to beg simplification. D)Her assent was very...
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 11:41am
Tlot-tlot; tlot-tlot! Had they heard it? The horse-hoofs ringing clear; Tlot-tlot, tlot-tlot, in the distance? Were they deaf that they did not hear? Down the ribbon of moonlight, over the brow of the hill, The highwayman came riding, Riding, riding! The red-coats looked to ...
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 10:39am
The Pied Piper of Hamelin ― Robert Browning "Then, like a musical adept, To blow the pipe his lips he wrinkled, And green and blue his sharp eyes twinkled, Like a candle-flame where salt is sprinkled; And ere three shrill notes the pipe uttered, You heard as if an ...
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 10:35am
In "Telephone Conversation," which of the following best describes the shift in the speaker's attitude towards the landlady? A)from fuming to mischievous B)from angered to conciliatory C)from embarrassed to arrogant D)from cooperative to ninchalant
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 9:08am
1. I set my watch by the radio. 2. I set my watch by the clock. 3. I set my watch by the TV. 4. I set my camera on automatic. 5. I set my camera on flash. -------------------- Are they all grammatical? Can we use 'according to' instead of 'by'?
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 4:48am
1. He must have been late for the school. 2. He muse have been late for school. --------------------------- Which one is grammatical? Do we have to put 'the' before 'school'?
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 4:35am
1. He skipped the class yesterday. 2. He missed the class yesterday. -------------- Are both the same in meaning? What other words can we use instead of 'skipped'?
Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 4:32am
1. I want to be an architecture designer in the future. 2. I want to be an architectural designer in the future 3. I want to be a construction designer in the future. 4. I want to be a constructional designer in the future. -------------- Which one is grammatical and commonly ...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 10:40pm
Please Check my answers 1. A type of communication that isn't only about the present and that promotes higher level thinking such as planning and reminiscing is called A. child-child conversation. B. chanting. C. early production. D. decontextualized talk. ANSWER: A 2. ...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 10:20pm
Background Ten years ago, you started working as a clerk for DMD Medical Supplies. Six months ago, Liz Jakowski, the human resources director, promoted you to office manager. You manage two employees: Jack Snyder and Ruth Disselkoen. Your office provides secretarial support ...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 5:43pm
On what elements should you take notes to write a summary of a play? A. symbolism and analogies B. sets, costumes, characters, and motivations C. characters, places, problem, key events D. authors purpose and stage directions please help
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 3:43pm
Read the selection from Sara Teasdales Open Windows, and answer the questions. [. . .] I am alone with Weakness and Pain, Sick abed and June is going, I cannot keep her, she hurries by With the silver-green of her garments blowing. 5 Men and women pass in the...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 3:03pm
Is this a good introduction for a Domestic violence persuasive essay? She had so much potential. Her whole life ahead of her. She wanted to get a degree, get married and have children. But she is dead...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 12:44pm
In the excerpt from Barrio Boy, why does Miss Hopley have another boy come to her meeting with Ernesto and his mother? Ernesto has gotten into a fight with the other boy. The other boy is Ernesto's older brother. Ernesto and his mother do not speak English. The other boy ...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 12:30pm
1. When somebody telephones you from abroad, you should answer the phone at once. 2. When you are telephoned from abroad, you should answer the phone at once. 3. Being telephoned from abroad, you should answer the phone at once. ------------------ Are they all grammatical?
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 5:10am
1. When you telephone from abroad, you should dial 096 first. 2. When you are telephone from abroad, you should dial 096 first. 3. Telephoning from abroad, you should dial 096 first. 4. Telephoned from abroad, you should dial 096 first. ------------------ Which ones are ...
Monday, December 8, 2014 at 4:35am