Describe the tone of the final line in Anthem for Doomed Youth. What specific words help to establish this tone? The speaker ends with an image of blinds being drawn before dark. That word "slow" reflects the way the poem has been slowing down throughout ...
Friday, April 24, 2015 at 5:45pm
WORDS: Averse Detract Disdain Divulge Elation Endow Expulsion Mortified Nullified Ominous ------------- Some people are so (1)averse to living near a nuclear plant that they want the plants license to be (2)nullify. They say the plant infringes on every homeowners ...
Friday, April 24, 2015 at 7:00am
How does the playing of scales echo the return to tradition in Prayer? A. Scales are ornamental and challenging. B. Scales are foundational and methodical. C. The meter of scales matches that of the sonnet. D. The piano is a source of traditional music. B ?
Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:31am
From the book The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, which sentence from the passage provides the best expression of the theme? A."It's perfectly easy to be cynical. " B. "... once a week is quite enough to dine with one's own relations." C...
Friday, April 24, 2015 at 12:18am
Sonnet 43 is mainly about A. the death of the speaker's beloved. B. the appearance of the speaker's beloved. C. the ways in which the speaker loves her beloved. D. the speaker's religious beliefs. B ?
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 7:22pm
Parallel structure is the A. use of lines that are all more or less the same length. B. dispersal of thematic elements evenly throughout a work. C. balanced arrangement of stanzas in the sections of a narrative poem. D. use of repeated words, phrases, or grammatical forms. b ??
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 7:06pm
Which words best describe the character of the bridegroom in Woo'd and Married and A'? A. clever and wise B. foolish and poor C. wealthy and wise D. irresponsible and clever A?
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 6:43pm
Which vocabulary word correctly completes this sentence? After reading Chapmans translation of Homer, Keatss _____ about classic literature increased. A. vintage B. ken C. requiem D. teeming D?
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 6:17pm
When the speaker of Ode to the West Wind speaks of the impulse of the winds strength, to what is he referring? A. the sound of the wind B. the force driving the wind forward C. the weakening of the wind D. the random nature of the winds direction B??
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 6:14pm
From which statement in The Governess could you conclude that mistress is self important? A. I didn't bother making a note of it because I always do it*** B. Maybe you heard forty when I said thirty C. I excelled in mathematics. He gets that from his mother. D. The saucer ...
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 3:29pm
Criticism-related expressions 1. Shame on you. 2. You have no shame. 3. You're insane/crazy. 4. Have you lost your mind? 5. Are you out of your mind? 6. He must have stolen the money. 7. Your writing is terrible. 8. Your explanation is totally wrong. 9. 10. (Are they right...
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 8:42am
Complaint-related expressions 1. I've got a complaint against him. 2. As for me, I'm not satisfied. 3. I'm really sick and tired of my job. 4. It's boring, isn't it. 5. Why are you acting this way. 6. Behave. 7. I'm not satisfied with my grades. 8. 9. (...
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 8:38am
Permission related expressions 1. You may/can go back home now. 2. You were permitted to join the club. 3. You were allowed to go hunting with us. 4. 5. (Are they grammatical? Would you name some other expressions related to 'permission'?)
Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 8:34am
In these sentences which verb should be chosen? The public also views/view other sculptures at the memorial. I think Views because public is plural? Mathematics fail/fails to explain the wall's dramatic effect. Fail?
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 10:14pm
1. Which is a key factor that affects the climate of mountainous Latin America? (2 points) snow El Niño elevation sea breezes 2. Which statement best describes the economies of Central America? (2 points) Central America's economy ...
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 4:29pm
What do you take to school? 1. I take the number 2 bus. 2. I take number 2 bus. 3. I take the bus number 2. 4. I take bus number 2. =========== Which one is grammatical and commonly sed?
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 4:10pm
What do you take to school? 1. I take notebooks, textbooks and pencils. 2. I take a bus to school. ======================== What is the answer to the question?
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 3:48am
1. How do you go to school? By bus? Nio, I go there by subway. 2. What do you take to school? By bus? Nio, I go there by subway. ========================= Is #1 the same as #2? Can we use 'What do you take to school?' instead of 'How do you go to school?'
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:56am
1. It is 3 dollars to take the subway. ============== Is this sentence grammatical? What does 'It' refer to in the sentence? Does 'It' refer to 'the subway' or ' to take the subway'?
Wednesday, April 22, 2015 at 1:35am
Thank you very much for your help. One more questions goes.... 1. We have 25 boys in our class. All of them have a TV at home. 2. We have 25 boys in our class. They have a TV at home. ====================== #1 mean each boy has a TV at home. Am I right? #2 means the same thing...
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 9:57pm
1. I have a pen. 2. I don't have a pen. 3. I have not a pen. 4. Do you have a pen? 5. Have you a pen? ============= Are they all grammatical? Do they use #3 and #5 in The UK?
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 8:40pm
1. Many people have a car these days in the country. 2. Many people have cars these days in the country. =============== Are both OK? Does #1 mean each person has a car?
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 8:29pm
1. A lot of Russian families have a dacha. 2. A lot of Russian families have dachas. ================ Are both correct? Does #1 mean that each family has a dacha?
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 8:28pm
What are you like? What's your personality like? What's your personality? What's your character like? What's your character? Describe your personality. ================== Are the questions all grammatical? Which ones are commonly used?
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 7:55am
1. Many Russian families spend weekends at their dacha. 2. Many Russian families spend weekends at their dachas. =============== Which one is grammatical? Are both OK? Then which one is commonly used?
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 7:48am
1. She is a medium height woman. 2. She is medium height. 3. She is of medium height. 4. She is a woman of medium height. =================== Are they all grammatical? Which ones are right?
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 7:22am
Mom came to Emily's room and found the window was open. It was raining hard outside. Because the window was opened, the books on the desk were wet. A: Emily, look at the books. They are all wet. B1:Oh, no. I'm sorry. I forgot to close the window. B2:Oh,dear. I'm ...
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 7:11am
What can you do to save the environment? 1. I'd better take the stairs instead of the elevator. 2. I'd better turn off the light when I don't use it. 3. I'd better turn off the tap water when I am not using it. 4. I'd better not use paper cups or plates. 5...
Tuesday, April 21, 2015 at 3:17am
We have to find the right linking verb. 1.) It was she/her who was the director. She 2.) The owner of the recording equipment was me/I. I 3.) The engineer helping with the recording was her/she. She 4.) The person testing how the microphone sounded was I/me. I 5.) The ...
Monday, April 20, 2015 at 10:18pm
1. Emily likes winter because she can see snow in the mountains. 2. Emily likes winter because she can watch snow in the mountains. 3. Emily likes winter because she can look at snow in the mountains. =================== Which verb should we use?
Monday, April 20, 2015 at 9:19am
I have to memorize and recite exactly 12 lines from Shakespeare's "Othello" for class. I am having trouble picking from the entire play, a nice and notable speech section from the play. Any suggestions? I would prefer a part by Othello or Desdemona :) (Please ...
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 11:52pm
1. He is outgoing. 2. He is extrovert. 3. He is extroverted. (Are they all grammatical and the same in meaning?) 4. He is shy. 5. He is reserved. 6. He is introvert. 7. He is introverted. (Are they all grammatical and the same in meaning?)
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 10:14pm
Which sentence is punctuated correctly? A. Milton wrote many prose works, but is more famous for poetry. B. In a sequence of sonnets dedicated to his wife Edmund Spenser traced their courtship. C. Sonnets were new to England, when Sir Philip Sidney wrote them. D. When ...
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 7:47pm
Which choice would supply the strongest, most logical support for this claim? Lakeside Manor is a wonderful new community on Lake Winchester. A. After just a few hours, you will know you want to move there. B. There is ample parking for all residents and for guests. C. ...
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 7:42pm
Read this passage from Donnes Meditation 17. Then, answer the question that follows. No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a ...
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 7:40pm
Which clause in this sentence is used as an adjective? When Beowulf arrived, the Danes welcomed him, for they desperately needed someone who could stop Grendel. A. When Beowulf arrived B. the Danes welcomed him C. they desperately needed someone D. who could stop Grendel D ??
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 7:36pm
Hello. Please help me with my question. Is there any difference between the verbs 'learn' and 'study' in the sentences: 1) I'm going (want) to learn English. 2) I'm going (want) to study English. Thank you for your help a lot.
Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 3:33pm
1. A research paper has which of the following aspects in common with an essay? A. a title page B. a works cited list C. body paragraphs with topic sentences D. personal experience as a primary source 2. When citing all sources, which answer lists the items that must be ...
Friday, April 17, 2015 at 6:54pm
1. When taking notes from your sources, you should also ________. A. revise your research question B. write the information needed for your works cited list C. format your paper and works cited list D. find a topic for your research paper 2. Academic writing involves which of ...
Friday, April 17, 2015 at 6:42pm
Which sentence is the most grammatically correct and clear version? Superman announced that he could leap over buildings in a single bound, which was a very risky thing to do. It was risky for Superman to announce that he could leap over buildings in a single bound. Leaping ...
Friday, April 17, 2015 at 5:42pm
1. The word aloof is an English word borrowed from Dutch. Its meaning is "at a distance." In which of the following sentences is the word used correctly? Anne's sociable nature mad her aloof in new situations When he first arrived at the Secret Annex, Peter kept ...
Friday, April 17, 2015 at 4:59pm
"The night was gone. The morning star was shining in the sky. I too had become a completely different person. The student of the Talmud, the child that I was, had been consumed in the flames. There remained only a shape that looked like me. A dark flame had entered into ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:14pm
Figurative Language 1.."August is a day in the sun" These words compare _____ to _____. 2."Such a stinky flower that is makes people regret having a nose" These words suggest. 3. "the camera spoke for him" These words suggest. 4."them look ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:42pm
Henry and Lois are discussing ways to evaluate sources. Henry maintains that one should scan a source before skimming it. Lois argues that scanning is the best first step in evaluating a source. Who is correct?
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:00pm
Strategies for the Independent Learner
When you approach a text, you should A. survey it, using the technique called SQ3R. B. dive right in at the first page and read the assigned section. C. skip over words you dont know. D. read only the boldface type. 2. The proctored exams for your degree courses are A. ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 3:31pm
The distribution of B.A. degrees conferred by a local college is listed below, by major. Major Frequency English 2073 Mathematics 2164 Chemistry 318 Physics 856 Liberal Arts 1358 Business 1676 Engineering 868 9313 What is the probability that a randomly selected degree is not ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:43am
1. Make sure you unplug the TV when you go out. 2. Make sure that you unplug the TV when you go out. 3. Make sure you should unplug the TV when you go out. 4. Make sure you unplug the TV before you go out. ========================== Are they all grammatical? Can we use '...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 11:09am
In which sentence is the meaning of the word blackmail best expressed. A. They hope that her envy would not cause blackmail B. They were afraid that blackmail would lead to more demands for money C. They reached for the phone, eager to hear the blackmail news.*** D, Alone and ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 10:14am
What can you do to save electricity? (2) 1. I can unplug the computer and the printer. 2. I can unplug appliances in my room. 3. I can unplug all electronic devices in my room. 4. I can unplug the TVs in the rooms. 5. I can unplug all the electronic devices including the fax ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:53am
1. Make sure you go to bed early. 2. Make sure you play ping-pong with him. 3. Make sure you talk with the person. 4. Make sure you go back home early. 5. Make sure you call your mother. 6. Make sure you send the money to him. 7. Make sure you take a taxi. 8. Make sure you go ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:42am
Look at this electricity bill, Andy. - Wow! That's a lot. ==================== In this short dialogue, what is the part of speech of 'a lot'? 1. The electricity bill is a lot. (Is this sentence grammatical? What other expressions can we use instead of 'a lot...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:24am
What can you do to save electricity? 1. I can turn off the lights when I leave my room. 2 I can turn off the lights when I don't use the room. 3.I can turn off the lights when I don't stay in the room. 4. I can turn off the lights of my classroom when we leave for the ...
Thursday, April 16, 2015 at 8:20am
4.In Amys English class, 30% of the students play an instrument. She does not know how many in the whole school play an instrument, but there are 500 students in the school. A.Solve the proportion 30/100=n/500 to estimate the total number of students in the school who ...
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 9:08pm
Which simple sentence has a compound verb? A. Becky and I weren't sure. B. Anne wanted a surprise party for Carrie. C. We have been planning the party since April. D. Finally, we voted and decided against a surprise.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 1:48pm
Which of the following would most likely be an entry in a sentence outline? A. Education beyond high school versus education beyond college B. Education as a pathway C. Education as a tool D. Education can change a person's life.
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 1:15pm
Hello I am having quite a bit of trouble trying to figure out a better way to answer this. 1. In the video, The Fates Present: Pyramus & Thisbe,There are parts of the animated version in which there is a character, who appears at the beginning of the animation first, and who ...
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 12:08pm
Im looking for some media examples of how women who don't want kids are perceived by society... one example I have is How I Met Your Mother, where one of the main characters Robin doesn't want kids..... Can anyone think of any other examples? Thanks!
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 9:54am
1. A hippo is an animal which has a big mouth. 2. A hippo is an animal which is very heavy. 3. A hippo is an animal which is very big. 4. A crocodile is an animal which has lots of teeth. 5. A crocodile is an animal which has a strog and long tail. 6. A crocodile is an animal ...
Wednesday, April 15, 2015 at 8:51am
1. We can live to be 200. 2. We can live to be 200 years old. 3. We can live up to 200. 4. We can live up to 200 years. 5. We can live to 200. 6. We can live to 200 years. 7. We can live up to 200 years old. 8. We can live to 200 years old. ===================== I have listed ...
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 10:34pm
1. We can reuse the water after we rinse the rice. 2. We can reuse the water after we rinse rice. (Do we have to sue 'the' before 'rice'?) 3. We can do the laundry after we gathering many clothes. 4. We can put many clothes in the washing machine. 5. We can use...
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 10:11pm
1. We can turn off the tap of water, when we are washing our faces. 2. We can turn off the tap water, when we are washing our faces. 3. We can turn off the city water, when we are washing our faces. =================== Q1: Can we use all the expressions? Q2: Can we use '...
Tuesday, April 14, 2015 at 10:05pm