Posted by Ke$ha on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 11:57am.
The radius of a 12 inch right circular cylinder is measured to be 4 inches, but with a possible error of ±0.2 inch. What is the resulting possible error in the volume of the cylinder? Include units in your answer.
- Math Calc - Steve, Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 12:05pm
if 3.8 <= r <= 4.2,
π*3.8^2*12 <= v <= π*4.2^2*12
544.32 <= v <= 665.01
- Math Calc - Ke$ha, Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 12:22pm
r = 4 in.
h = 12 in.
V = pi*r^2 * h = 3.14*4^2 * 12 = 602.88
r = 4.2 in.
h = 12.2 in.
V = 3.14*4.2^2 * 12.2 = 675.75 in^3
675.75-602.88 =72.87 in^3?
is that right?
- Math Calc - Steve, Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 12:29pm
3.14*4.2^2 * 12.2 = 665.75
other than that, your logic is sound.
Also, note that the error using 4.0-0.2 in for the low-side value differs by a smaller amount.
- Math Calc - Ke$ha, Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at 12:33pm
So my updated answer would be that the possible error is the volume of the cylinder is 63.87 in^3?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The radius of a 12 inch right circular cylinder is measured to be 4 ...
- Calculus AB - The radius of a 12 inch right circular cylinder is measured to be ...
- Math - A metal cylinder with a 4 inch radius and a 10 inch altitude is melted ...
- calculus - The measurement of the radius of a circle is found to be 14 inches, ...
- Calculus (check my answer) - The measurement of the edge of a cube is found to ...
- calculus - The side of a square is measured to be 12 inches with a possible ...
- Math - This is what my paper said(or close enough) Mike is measuring his ...
- math - Ted made a scale model of a submarine for his science class. a. What is ...
- pre-calculus - A company plans to manufacture a container having the shape of a ...
- Algebra - A box with a lid is to be cut out of a 12 inch by 24 inch sheet of ...