Posted by Kathy on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 7:20pm.
solve for w: the square root of 2-w=w
- algebra - Steve, Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 7:27pm
√(2-w) = w^2
2-w = w^4
w^4+2w-2 = 0
The solutions to that are not trivial.
So, assuming you meant
√2 - w = w
√2 = 2w
2 = 4w^2
w = ±1/√2
Better try again. Ignoring the first two lines, once you get to
I'm sure you meant
(w+2)(w-1) = 0
In which case the roots are indeed -2 and 1
You seriously need to improve you exponential notation!
- algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 7:28pm
Wow, that is some creative algebra
I assume your equation is
√(2-w) = w , or is it √2 - w = w
(notice how my brackets totally change the meaning of the problem)
I will assume the first
square both sides
(√(2-w) )^2 = w^2
2 - w = w^2
w^2 + w - 2 = 0
(w+2)(w-1) = 0
w = -2 or w = 1
Since we squared, both solutions MUST be verified
if x = 1
LS = √(2-1) = 1
RS = 1^2 = 1 = LS
so x = 1
if x = -2
LS = √(2 + 2) = √4 = 2
RS = -2
LS ≠ RS
so the only solution is x = 1
Answer this Question
- Algebra - Use the quadratic formula to solve the equation. Give exact answers: ...
- Algebra - Rationalize each expression by building perfect nth root factors for ...
- Advanced Algebra - Can you please explain to me how I can solve these problems...
- algebra - 1.)correct 2.)wrong---> the first term is wrong 4(3a^2)^2 = 36a^4 3...
- Pre Algebra - Please help me with some problems. Thank you! Solve the equation ...
- Algebra - Solve 2+ the square root of 4-x=x what is your question? ok lets start...
- algebra - 1)Write the expression 9n^6+7n^3-6 in quadratic form,if possible A.9(n...
- Algebra - 3(square root of)18 + square root of 2. How would I solve this problem...
- algebra - Help Fast PLEASE!! check for corrections on my problems 1.Rewrte the ...
- Math simplifying mixed radicals - Please help me simplify these following mixed ...