Posted by Morgan on Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 7:11pm.
Tony visits the local fair and sees one of the rides, the ferris wheel. The ferris wheel has a diameter of 50 feet and is on a platform of 4 feet. If it takes 12 seconds to make one full revolution, what is the equation of the height of a person on the ferris wheel at any time t?
- Honors Pre Calculus - Steve, Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 7:16pm
assuming the person starts at the wheel's lowest position when t=0, that means that f(t) will look something like
f(t) = -cos(t)
The radius is 25 feet, so that makes it
f(t) = -25cos(t)
The axle is 25+4=29 feet off the ground, so
f(t) = 29-25cos(t)
since cos(kt) has period 2π/k, we have 2π/k = 12, so
f(t) = 29-25cos(π/6 t)
- Honors Pre Calculus - Reiny, Wednesday, September 3, 2014 at 7:21pm
We could use either a sine or a cosine function, you did not specify which, but I will use sine
It must be of the type
height = a sin k(Ø + d) + c
period = 12 s
2π/k = 12
k = 2π/12 = π/6
also we know a = 25
so far we have
height = 25 sin π/6(t + d) + c
you did not say where you want the person to be when t = 0 , that will determine the phase shift
you did not say how the height you want relates to the 4 foot platform. Do you want your height to describe the height above ground or above the platform.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Tony visits the local fair and sees one if therides, the ferris wheel. ...
- pre-calculus - A.) A Ferris wheel has a radius of 32 feet and completes one ...
- math - The Ferris wheel at the county fair is 30 feet tall. If a person rides ...
- Math - A Ferris wheel has a diameter of 60 feet. When you start at the bottom ...
- Physics - A particular Ferris wheel takes you through one complete revolution ...
- Trig - As you ride a ferris wheel, your distance from the ground varies ...
- College Algebra - A ferris wheel has a diameter of 320 feet and the bottom of ...
- math - a ferris wheel has the diameter of 240 feet and the bottom of the ferris ...
- trig question - A Ferris wheel has a deameter of 50m. The platform at the bottom...
- Trig application - I'm having trouble with this trig application. The scenario ...