Posted by Adam on Friday, August 15, 2014 at 8:52am.
Al is twice as old as Bill, who is twice as old as Carl. In 10 years, Al will be twice as old as Carl. How old is Al now?
- math - Reiny, Friday, August 15, 2014 at 8:58am
I usually start with the smallest quantity, which here is Carl's age
let Carl's age be x
then Bill is 2x
and Al is 4x
in 10 years:
Carl --- x+10
Bill --- 2x+10
Al ---- 4x + 10
so 4x+10 = 2(x+10)
4x + 10 = 2x + 20
2x = 10
x = 5
So now Al is 4(5) = 20
Carl -- 5
Bill --- 10
Al ---- 20
10 years from now:
Al will be 30 and Carl will be 15
Is Al twice as old as Carl ?? YES
- math - Adam, Friday, August 15, 2014 at 9:05am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - 2x represents that Clyde is twice (2 times) as old as Bonnie. 6 years ...
- math - i never can do word problems....please help... i got 7 of them.....these ...
- math - A. Brad is 12 years older than Sam . If Brad were 8 years older than he ...
- math - Jack is twice as old as he was 5 years ago. His mother was then six times...
- 9th grade math word problems - i never can do word problems....please help... i ...
- Math - Hello! Here is a question. Marry is twice as old as Jhon and half as old ...
- Math - I don't get page 50 of algebra with pizzazz! Please help? 7) Kathy is 6 ...
- analytical math - rony who is sixteen years old, is four times as old as her ...
- math - rajeev, who is sixteen years old, is four times as old as his sister. How...
- math - L is 3 times as old as D, who is five yrs older than C. If in 18 years L ...