Posted by Jesus on Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 3:11am.
A 10.00-mL sample of 0.1000 M KH2PO4 was titrated with 0.1000 M HCl
Ka for phosphoric acid (H3PO4): Ka1= 7.50x10-3
; Ka3= 4.20x10-10
Calculate the pH after addition of 10.00 mL of HCl to the KH2PO4 solution?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 11:45am
Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
- Chemistry - robin, Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 11:59am
which ka value would we use and would the concentrations of the acid and base be the same?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, August 7, 2014 at 3:44pm
First, forget what I told you. You are titrating KH2PO4 with HCl.
KH2PO4 + HCl --> H3PO4 + KCl
You notice (which is what I didn't notice when I first read the problem) that 10 mL of 0.1M KH2PO4 is exactly neutralized (neutralized may be the wrong word) by 10 mL of 0.1M HCl so you have 0.05M H3PO4 at the equivalence point. Therefore, the pH will be determined as if you had a pure solution of 0.05M H3PO4 and for that you use k1.
..........H3PO4--> H^+ + H2PO4^-
Substitute the E line into k1 expression and solve for x = (H^+) and convert to pH. I expect you will need to solve the quadratic equation you will get (meaning that you can not assume 0.05-x = 0.05)
- Chemistry - David, Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 7:16pm
Why the ph will be determinated as if you have 0,05M H3PO4???
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- AP CHEMISTRY - Phosphoric acid is triprotic acid (three ionizable hydrogens). ...
- Chemistry - For the titration of 50.00mL of 0.1000 M ammonia with 0.1000 M HCl...
- chemistry - For the titration of 50.00 mL of 0.1000 M ammonia with 0.1000 M HCl...
- njit - please life saver i am taking a quiz now can some one help me with this ...
- Chemistry - A buffer is made up of .300 L each of .500 M KH2PO4 and .317 M ...
- chemistry - I know the formula is Ma x Mla / 1000 x Sa / Sb = Mb x Mlb / 1000 ...
- chemistry - Calculate the concentrations of all species present in a 0.100 M ...
- chemistry - Problem: Need to prepare a 250 mL buffer of pH 7.00 using equimolar ...
- AP CHEM - You need to use KH2PO4 and K2HPO4 to prepare a buffer with a pH of 7....
- chem - I posted a question earlier that I was having trouble with, but I was ...