Posted by Heather on Monday, August 4, 2014 at 10:48pm.
If 2a = 3b, 1/3c = 6b^2, and b > 0, what is c in terms of a?
The answer choices are:
(A) 8a^2 + 6
(B) 8a^2 + 12
(C) 12a^2 + 6
(D) 18a^2 + 6
(E) 18a^2 + 12
- Math - Heather, Monday, August 4, 2014 at 10:57pm
Actually, just did it again and got (D). However, it's an SAT question and I need the fastest way to solve it... what I did was plug in values for a and b (3 and 2, respectively) then find c (78) and plug a (3) back into each of the choices to see if c (78) and the answer were equal. Is there a faster way to do it?
- Math - Steve, Monday, August 4, 2014 at 11:17pm
1/3c = 6b^2, so
c = 18b^2
Now, 3b=2a, so
18b^2 = 2(3b)^2 = 2(2a)^2 = 8a^2
I think you left out a +6 somewhere, since there are no such terms shown.
Also, if a=3 and b=2, c=72, not 78, so it's a good sign something has been left out.
So, if D is the answer, the question has been garbled. At any rate, you can see how I did it, so maybe you can apply the logic to the correct problem.
- Math - Heather, Monday, August 4, 2014 at 11:43pm
Sorry- it was 1/3c = 6b^2 + 2.
I can see your way of substituting, though!
Answer this Question
- Math - Describe the steps for simplifying the expression 3a^3 + 4 - 4a - 2a^3 + ...
- algebra - simplify -2a^+6ab^-12a^b/-24ab the b -12a^b the b is to the third ...
- math - Hi I need help with 5 questions..some of it is confusing to me. I just ...
- math - Look at this trinomial 32a^4 + 18a^3 - 12a Write the polynomial as the ...
- Math - (6q^6)^-4 When I worked this I got 1/1296q^24. One of the choices given ...
- Math Algebra Multiply - (a+3)^3 is answer: 3a+9a+9 12a+9
- algebra - simplify 2a^2 + 6ab^2-12a^2b^3 divided by 24ab -2a^2/-24ab + 6ab^2/...
- math - subtract: express your answer in simplest form. 5x-3/6 - (x+3)/6 answer ...
- Statistics - Over time, a student analyzes her ability to guess correctly after ...
- pre alg - 12a^-4 b^6 c^-3 / 30 a^2 b^-5 c^-3 is the answer 2b/5a^6 c^?