Posted by mike on Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 4:06pm.
sample of 1.00g of BaSO4 and a similar sample of 1.00g of CaSO4 were added to water at 25 Celsius to give 1L of solution. Calc. the concentration of Ba2+, Ca2+, and SO4^2- ions present in the solution?
chem - DrBob222, Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 5:43pm
What Ksp values are you using for BaSO4 and CaSO4?
chem - mike, Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 5:59pm
It doesn't give anything else except what i wrote
chem - DrBob222, Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 6:05pm
Right, however, look in the tables in your text (usually in the back in the appendix) and you will find Ksp (solubility products) listed. Those are the numbers I need. Why can't I look them up? I can but tables don't agree and I want to use the same numbers you must use.
chem - alex poe, Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 6:44pm
i was given the same problem...my text gives the Ksp of BaSO4= 1.1x10^-10. but not the Ksp of CaSO4
chem - mike, Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 6:46pm
Ksp: BaSO4: 1.1*10^-10
CaSO4: can't find it
chem - DrBob222, Sunday, August 3, 2014 at 7:00pm
OK. I will assume the Ksp for CaSO4 is about 1E-4. The values I can find on the web aren't quite that but it makes the problem a little easier. Since you can't find it in your tables, I assume the problem is saying that 1.00 g CaSO4 is soluble in 1 L solution. If that is not a good assumption this won't be the right way to work the problem.
(CaSO4) = 1.00/molar mass CaSO4 = about 0.00734M
.........CaSO4 --> Ca^2+ + SO4^2-
That gives the Ca^2+ and SO4^2-.
Then BaSO4 --> Ba^2+ + SO4^2-
Ksp BaSO4 = (Ba^2+)(SO4^2-)
(Ba^2+) = x from BaSO4
(SO4^2-) = x from BaSO4 and 0.00734 from CaSO4
Plug into Ksp for BaSO4 and solve for x = (Ba^2+).
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A sample of 10.00g of a solid unknown was dissolved in 25.00g of ...
- chemistry - a 2.00g sample of zinc metal is added to a calorimeter containing ...
- chem - A solution is prepared by dissolving 16.5 g ammonium sulfate in enough ...
- chem - A 4.55L sample of water contains .115g of sodium ions. Determine the ...
- chem - Calculate the final concentration of a. 4.0 L of a 4.0 M HNO3 solution is...
- Chemisty 20 - A sample of water was known to contain chloride ions. To determine...
- chemistry - 8.00g of NaOH are dissolved in water to make 3.00 L of solution. ...
- chemistry - 8.00g of NaOH are dissolved in water to make 4.00 of solution. What ...
- Chemistry help - 2.00g of NaOH are dissolved in water to make 2.00L of solution...
- chemistry - Calculate the mass percent concentration of a solution made by ...