Posted by Anon on Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 7:32pm.
When a chain hangs under its own weight, its shape is catenary. The equation of a catenary with a vertex on the y-axis is y=e^x+e^-x. Find the length of the chain from x=-2 to x=2. Then use the same technique from Problem #8(Previous AP calc problem I posted) to find the length of the parabola with the same vertex and endpoints.
I go the first part that asks to find the length to be 12.225, but I don't understand what the next part is asking or how to do it!
- AP Calc - Damon, Thursday, July 31, 2014 at 8:13pm
when x = 0, middle, y = e^0 + e^-0 = 2
when x = 2 or -2 (end) y = e^2 + 1/e^2
so parabola has vertex at (0, 2)
and goes through (-2, 7.524 ) and (-2,7.524)
we might as well move this down weo so the vertex is at the origin
vertex at (0,0)
(2, 5.524) and (-2, 5.524)
so form is
y = a x^2 + b x
b is 0 because symmetric about y axis
y = a x^2
when x = 2, y = 5.524
5.524 = a (4)
a = 1.381
so our parabola is
y = 1.381 x^2
now use your technique (I do not know which you are using) to find the length of y = 1.381 x^2 from 0 to 2 and double that for -2 to + 2
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Calc BC - When a chain hangs under its own weight, its shape is a catenary (from...
- math calc 2 - a 30 m chain hangs vertically from a cylinder attached to a winch...
- Pre-Calculus - The Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri is not a parabola but a ...
- math - complete the table that shows the length of the chain formed when rings ...
- Physics - A large uniform chain is hanging from the ceiling, supporting a block ...
- physics - A big brass lantern hangs from three chains as shown below. The chain ...
- physics - a chain that can support 2000 N is suspended between two trees. a 200 ...
- Newton's law - 7. A uniform flexible chain of length l, with weight per unit ...
- physics - To protect her new two-wheeler, Iroda Bike buys a length of chain. She...
- physics - Two uniform planks, each of mass m = 4.41 kg and length L = 2.11 m, ...