Posted by Sheenybeany on Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 6:02pm.
Two cubes of volumes 8 and 27 are glued together at their faces to form a solid with the smallest possible surface area. What is the surface area of the resulting solid?
- Geometry - bobpursley, Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 6:33pm
So, consider just one face of the cubes, they have to be glued. If the smaller is put smack dab, consider that the standard surface area. The exposed surface area on that glued face only is
But what if the don't overlap exactly, one hangs over the side of the other.
let x be the overhang.
surface area on the joined surface of the smaller cube is 2x
and the surface area on the joined surface of the larger cube is 9-(2-x)2
total= 2x+9-4+2x=5+4x so the minumum surface area on that surface will be 5
total surface of this configuration:
check my thinking
- Geometry - Steve, Tuesday, July 22, 2014 at 7:50pm
area of 3x3x3 cube is 6*9=54
area of 2x2x2 cube is 6*4=24
If not joined, total area is 78
The maximum concealed surface area is an entire face of the 2-cube, on both solids: 2*4 = 8
So, the minimum exposed area would be 78-8 = 70
- Geometry - me, Monday, June 20, 2016 at 1:46am
First, we note that the cubes of volume 8 and 27 must have edges of length 2 and 3, respectively. Hence, their surface areas are 6 * 2^2 = 24 and 6 * 3^2 = 54, respectively.
The largest possible surface area that the cubes could share is the area of one face of the smaller cube, namely 2^2 = 4. Therefore, the smallest surface area of the solid resulting from gluing the two cubes together is 24 + 54 - 2 * 4 = 70.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- GEOMETRY MATH QUESTION - Four cubes of volumes 1cm^3, 8cm^3, 27cm^3, and 125cm^3...
- Geometry - The volumes of two similar solids are 1,331 m^3 and 216 m^3. The ...
- geometry - The volume of two similar solids is 1331 m3 and 729 m3. The surface ...
- Math - Geometry - A cylindrical solid has a cylindrical circular hold drilled ...
- Geometry plz help - A rectangular solid has a top face with surface area of 28 ...
- geometry - The volume of 2 similar solids are 27 ft3 and 216 ft3. The surface ...
- geometry - Two similar solids have a scale factor of 3:5. If the height of solid...
- geometry - 2 identical cubes,each w/ volume 125 cubic cm,are placed side by side...
- Math - The solids in each pair are similar. Find the surface area for solid B. ...
- Math and Science - A rectangular solid with the dimension 1m x 1m x 3m is ...