Posted by sharon on Friday, July 11, 2014 at 8:19pm.
y = -7x - 9, -3y = 21x + 7
without graphing, tell whether the graphs of each pair of equations are perpendicular.
- Alegbra - Barry, Friday, July 11, 2014 at 8:33pm
the first equation
y = -7x - 9
the second equation
-3y = 21x + 7
y = -7x -(7/3)
To determine whether the two lines are perpendicular
slope of equation 1 X slope of equation 2 must be -1.
But in this case,
slope of equation 1 X slope of equation 2 = 49 instead of -1
so the two lines are not perpendicular.
(However, slope of equation 1 = slope of equation 2 and the y-intercept of the two equations are not the same, so we know that the two lines are parallel to each other.)
Hope it helps!
Wishing you the best of luck,
- Alegbra - Steve, Friday, July 11, 2014 at 8:34pm
the slopes are the same, so they are either parallel or the same line.
If you multiply the 1st by -3, the constant term is different from 7, so the lines are parallel.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Alegbra - I really don't understand what I am doing. Needing help! With ...
- Algebra (Math) - Without graphing, name the ordered pair where the graphs of the...
- Alegbra - Will be the graphs of each of these equations be perpendicular. 1.y=7x...
- Math - 38. Tell whether the lines for the pair of equations are parallel, ...
- Algebra 1 - Tell whether the lines for then pair of equations are parallel, ...
- Algebra 1 - Tell whether them lines, for each pair of equations are parallel, ...
- math help please - Tell whether the lines for each pair of equations are ...
- Algebra 1 - Tell whether the lines for each pair of equations mare parallel, ...
- Math Help?! 7th grade. - 1. Determine which ordered pair is a solution of y = x...
- graphing - Determine whether the graphs of the two lines are parallel. y+3=3x 6x...