Posted by Unmei on Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 11:39pm.
1. When does the Narrative of Sojourner Truth take place?
A. right after the Emancipation Proclamation.
. Before the Civil War.
C. During the Civil War.
D. After the Civil War
2. In emphasizing the importance of individual thinking and basing one's beliefs on one's own experiences, Sojourner shows she has much in common with
B. Chief Pontiac
D. Chief Seattle
3. The religious revivals of nineteenth-century America included people who became very excited, claiming that God spoke to them directly. These people were called?
A. Bible beacons
4. As in Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown" the autobiographical story of Sojourner Truth is written on all of these levels except?
A. interior narrative
B. exterior commentary
C. social commentary
<D>. dramatic narrative
5. What one thing does Thoreau say stifles poetry and philosophy?
6. Chief Seattle contrasts the religions of the white and of his people by saying the native American religion exists in the hearts of the while the religion of the whites is written on tablets of stone?
<A>. an angry God.
B. lightning atop a mountain
C. seekers after truth
7. For Sojourner Truth deciding which parts of Scripture came from those who wrote the Bible and not from God depended on?
A. her feelings about slavery.
B. the authority of theologians.
C. her mother's Bible lessons.
<D>. her inner witness.
8. Matthias is an example of a/an?
A. pagan god.
B. runaway slave.
C. typical slave owner.
<D>. cult leader.
9. A grandson of the slave master John Ardinburgh declared that a "good funeral" for Bomefree would include a jug of whiskey. Sojourner Truth saw the jug as offering
A. sin over atonement
B. too little too late
<C>. an opiate for slaves
D. mere hypocrisy.
10. Thoreau believes that people should work because
<A>. they love what they do.
B. God said so in the Bible.
C. it will give them time to think about important things.
D. it will keep them out of trouble.
11. Thoreau writes that people should be mining themselves for gold By this he is stating in another way the ideal of Socrates, which was to?
A. put things first.
. know thyself.
C. live and let live.
D. deny thyself to learn what is valuable.
12. Tecumseh's "Let the white race perish" speech is?
A. a plea to the people's reason.
B. a satire on the white race and its traditions.
C. a logical list of reasons why whites should be resisted
<D>. an appeal to the emotions of his listeners
13. Regarding the difference between fiction and nonfiction which statement is most accurate?
A. Writers of nonfiction have no need to express passionate opinion
B. Nonfiction writers are free to embellish the facts.
<C>. Nonfiction writers are more often free to move about in time and space.
D. Literary fiction does little except inform and specify.
15. At first, Sojourner Truth was happy to have many children because?
A. they were the only things that gave her joy
. it provided more slaves for her owner
C. it took her mind off her problems
D. they could help her with her daily tasks
16. Thoreau's night in jail for tax delinquency resulted specifically from?
<A>. his revulsion and disgust over the U.S. invasion of Mexico.
B. the publication of his work Civil Disobedience
C. a decision to act on his belief that least government was best government
D. having moved his place of residence from Concord to Walden Pond.
17. When Chief Seattle refers several times to the angry young men in his tribe, he's?
<A>. trying to convince his audience to be more peaceable.
B. making veiled threats.
C. urging his audience to unite against the whites.
D. blaming the tribal leaders.
18. The major theme of "Life without Principle" is
19. The statement "There was snow on the ground,... and a large old-fashioned sleigh was seen to drive up the door?
of the late Col. Ardinburgh" is an example of?
A. Social Commentary
B. Interior monologue.
<C>. exterior narrative
20. Tecumseh was chief of the
- Literature-Help me Ms. Sue - Ms. Sue, Friday, July 4, 2014 at 11:11am
4. I'm not sure, but I think you're wrong.
19 I don't know.
I think the other answers are right.
- Literature-Help me Ms. Sue - Unmei, Saturday, July 5, 2014 at 12:50am
would number 13 be D?
- Literature-Help me Ms. Sue - Unmei, Saturday, July 5, 2014 at 6:47pm
and I don't know what else 4,5,6,15,and 19 could be.
- Literature-Help me Ms. Sue - Catelyn, Tuesday, October 21, 2014 at 9:45am
4 is right
- Literature-Help me Ms. Sue - Brittnay, Saturday, January 24, 2015 at 2:19am
17 is wrong. i took the pennfoster test and got it wrong.
Answer this Question
Civil War - What was the role of the Emancipation Proclamation in the ...
history - what are some questions that i can research about the civil war? i ...
The Civil War - I need websites that can tell me about the civil war. I googled ...
social studies - How did the Emancipation Proclamation change the nature of the ...
History-Civil War - What political dangers did President Lincoln face when he ...
literature - When does the narrative of sojourner truth take place
literature - When does the Narrative of Sojourner Truth take place
literature - When does the Narrative of Sojourner Truth take place?
Reading - 1. Of the following characters, the one you learn the most about in “...
history - Can someone please tell me what countries were involved in the civil ...