Posted by b on Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 1:23pm.
Are the two solutions to x (2x+1) = 1 found by setting x = 1 and 2x + 1 = 1? Explain your reasoning. What are the solutions to this equation? Show how you arrived at your answer. Create an equation for your classmates to solve that requires factoring.
- math - Steve, Thursday, July 3, 2014 at 1:33pm
nope. Just because two numbers multiply together to make 1, you still know nothing about the numbers.
If nothing else, try your idea.
If x=1, 2x+1=3, and 1*3≠1
However, if two numbers multiply to be zero, then one or the other must be zero. So, let's set things equal to xero, rather than 1.
x(2x+1) - 1 = 0
2x^2 + x - 1 = 0
you can factor that to get
(2x-1)(x+1) = 0
Now you have two possibilities:
2x-1 = 0
x+1 = 0
So, that gives you two solutions for x:
x = 1/2
x = -1
To verify that they satisfy the original equation, plug them in:
(1/2)(1+1) = 1
(-1)(-1) = 1
So we are good.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - compare and contrast: below are two equations. solve each equation and ...
- Math - How many real number solutions does the equation have? y=3x^2-5x-5 A)one ...
- Math - 1)How many real number solutions does the equation have? -8x^2-8x-2=0 A) ...
- Math 111 - Use the discriminant to determine the number and type of solutions ...
- ALGEBRA - The table below shows two equations: Equation 1 |3x - 1| + 7 = 2 ...
- questions - 1.) Why are there usually two solutions in quadratic equations? 2...
- Algebra - Consider the equation: 4x^2 – 16x + 25 = 0 (a) Show how to compute the...
- Algebra - Consider the equation 4x^2 – 16x + 25 = 0. (a) Show how to compute the...
- math - how many real number solutions does the equation have y = -4x^2 + 7x - 8 ...
- CountIblis, can i bother you - Countiblis, i know that you might be busy do you ...