Posted by Long on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 at 11:05pm.
Consider a car starting at rest at the beginning of a 250 m street. At time t = 2.0 s it is 20 m along the street. At time t = 4.0 s it is 80 m along the street. Find its average velocity in the:
(a) First 2.0 s (b) First 4.0 s (c) Last 2.0 s
I have done 2 question a and b and got the answer 10m/s and 20m/s respectively. However, i do not know how to explain and solve the last question. It is great If someone can help me to understand the last question.
- Physics - MathMate, Thursday, June 19, 2014 at 6:18am
To find the velocity in the last two seconds, we need to first find the time it takes to arrive at the end of the street of 250 length, and assuming uniform acceleration.
The distance travelled is given by
Δx = vi(t)+(1/2)at²
vi=initial velocity (m/s)
Since the car started from rest, vi=0,
At t=2, Δx=20m
solving gives a=10 m/s²
Check at 4 sec.
Now we can assume uniform acceleration.
Calculate time to reach 250 m
So if we calculate where the car is located when t=√50 - 2, we have the distance travelled during the last two seconds, and can hence calculate the average velocity.
=(250-128.58)m /2 s
Answer this Question
- Physics - Consider two toy cars. Car A starts from rest and speeds up with ...
- English - 1. Stay on Cherry Street. 2. Keep going on Cherry Street. 3. Follow ...
- Physics - A car starting from rest, accelerates at 5.0 m/s^2 fpr an unknown time...
- English - 1. When he was walking down the street, he ran into Miss Fairchild. (...
- English - Thank you for your last corrections. Can you check these sentences, ...
- Physics - Suppose that the coefficient of kinetic friction of the rubber of a ...
- Physics - A automobile travels at a speed of northward along a street, and a ...
- PHYSICS - The observation deck of tall skyscraper 370 m above the street. ...
- trig - A 2000 pound car is parked on a street that makes an angle of 12* with ...
- English II - The question is: my neighbors across the street have a new car; it'...