Posted by Em on Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 8:40pm.
"To save on production costs, most automobile bumpers are never coated with more than 200 g of chromium. Determine how much time a standard bumper should be immersed in a chromium vat."
This is what I have so far-
96,485 coulombs are required to plate 1 Cr; 52/6 = 8.67g.
To plate 200g:
96.485 * (200/8.67) = 96.485 * 23.068 C = 2,225.721 coulombs
1 A = 1 C/s
(amperes) x (time) = 2,225.721 coulombs.
I know this may seem stupid but I can't seem to remember how to determine amps. Please help.
Chemistry - Electroplating - URGENT - DrBob222, Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 10:49pm
I believe you should have divided 52 by 3; the electroplating probably goes from Cr^3+ to Cr which is a change of 3 electrons.
Then coulombs needed = 96,485 x (200/17.3) = ?
C = amps x seconds but you have two unknowns. You don't know amps (usually given in the problem) or seconds (which is what the problem is asking).
Chemistry - Electroplating - URGENT - Em, Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 11:24pm
Ahh thank you - so then there would be 8346.453 coulombs needed instead of 2225.721.
As there are two unknowns, I cannot solve this problem any further... this is for an assignment due tomorrow, what should I do?
Chemistry - Electroplating - URGENT - Em, Tuesday, June 17, 2014 at 11:26pm
Sorry that should say 1115433.526 coulombs, not 8346.453.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - To save on production costs, most automobile bumpers are never ...
- Chem - Electroplating is a widely used process. One of the most popular ...
- chemistry - "To save on production costs, most automobile bumpers are never ...
- chemistry - Plastic articles can be chromium-plated by coating them with thin ...
- chemistry - A car bumper is plated with chromium using chromium(III) ions in ...
- CHEMISTRY - Chromium plating is done using a dichromate solution. How long would...
- chemistry - a 7.500-mg sample of chromium-55 is analyzed after 14.0 min and ...
- chemistry - A 7.500-mg sample of chromium-55 is analyzed after 14.0 min. and ...
- Chemistry - How much time is required to electroplate 6.530 µg of chromium from ...
- Chemistry - How does the process of chromium electroplating work?