Posted by Sandy East Ward on Tuesday, June 3, 2014 at 10:36am.
Can someone help me with these? My answer has a "***" next to it.
What do you think the narrator of “The Gift of the Magi” considers as having real value? (1 point)
the protagonists' hard work
the protagonists' wisdom
the protagonists' possessions
the protagonists' love for each other***
In the story “The Gift of the Magi,” which of the following is an example of allusion? (1 point)
the description of Della's hair as a "brown cascade"
the comparison between Della and the Queen of Sheba***
the apparent compassion for Della's and Jim's economic struggle
Jim's mention of the combs when he said, "But if you'll unwrap that package you may see why you had me going a while at first."
In “Fabric of Their Lives,” what does the information about Annie Mae Young burning her quilts reveal about her personality? (1 point)
Young did not consider her quilts as art pieces.***
Young saw her quilts as something very private.
Young thought no one would appreciate African American quilts.
Young was pessimistic about her success as an artist.
Summarize the author's intentions in writing "Fabric of Their Lives." (1 point)
Wallach wrote to convey—through the history of their quilting—the societal changes undergone by the African American women in the South, and how their history influenced the construction and design of the quilts.
Wallach wrote to express her sense of outrage at the poverty and lack of opportunity experienced by the African American women in the town of Gee's Bend, Alabama.
Wallach wrote to establish a historical record of the artform of African American quilts made in the South.***
Wallach wrote to give her support to the civil rights movement through eyewitness accounts and detailed descriptions of vernacular art.
Interpret the common message contained in Marge Piercy's and Walt Whitman's poems. (1 point)
Manual "blue-collar" laborers have benefits not experienced by "white-collar" workers who only work intellectually.
Honest work is good for a person emotionally, physically, and mentally.
A peson's heritage is part of his or her values.
Useful objects and useful people share one thing in common: genuine need.***
The poems in this unit express appreciation for (1 point)
the working class.
the value of work.***
the question of value.
In Guy de Maupassant’s “The Necklace,” what opinion of Mme. Loisel emerges from the narrator’s descriptions of her thoughts and actions? (1 point)
Mme. Loisel is ungrateful and self-important.***
Mme. Loisel unjustly suffers for a small mistake.
Mme. Loisel is an unlucky woman who deserves better.
Mme. Loisel is a refined woman who is forced to lead a simple life.
In their selections in this unit, O. Henry and Guy de Maupassant both employ situational irony. How do they use irony differently? (1 point)
O. Henry uses irony to highlight the love Jim and Della feel for each other, whereas Maupassant uses irony to emphasize the rewards of hard work.
O. Henry uses irony to surprise the reader in the foolishness of Jim and Della, while Maupassant uses irony to focus attention on the result of the Loisels' errors in judgment.***
O. Henry uses irony as a means of communicating the depths of the Youngs' love for one another, while Maupassant's use of irony communicates the needless suffering caused by the Loisels' pride.
The effect of O. Henry's use of irony is hilarious, while the effect of Maupassant's use of irony is tragic.
Choose the best description of the tone in each selection from the unit. (1 point)
"The Gift of the Magi": ironic and condescending
"Fabric of Their Lives": admiring and appreciative
"To Be of Use": earnest and judgmental
"I Hear America Singing": honoring and lauding
"The Necklace": reproving and mocking
"The Gift of the Magi": witty and sardonic***
"Fabric of Their Lives": outraged and angry
"To Be of Use": earnest and enthusiastic
"I Hear America Singing": honoring and admonishing
"The Necklace": realistic and ironic
"The Gift of the Magi": ironic and compassionate
"Fabric of Their Lives": admiring and appreciative
"To Be of Use": enthusiastic and earnest
"I Hear America Singing": honoring and admiring
"The Necklace": realistic and ironic
"The Gift of the Magi": humorous and ironic
"Fabric of Their Lives": condescending and cold
"To Be of Use": persuasive and judgmental
"I Hear America Singing": passionate and cheerful
"The Necklace": ironic and sardonic
Which of the following themes is NOT contained in “The Necklace”? (1 point)
Appearances are deceiving.
Hard work shapes a person's character.***
People should learn to appreciate what they have.
Envy makes people lose sight of what is really important.
Vocabulary and Grammar
What is the meaning of meretricious as it is used in this sentence from “The Gift of the Magi”?
It was a platinum fob chain simple and chaste in design, properly proclaiming its vale by substance alone and not by meretricious ornamentation—as all good things should do. (1 point)
showy and vulgar***
fashionable and glitzy
low-quality and cheap
ridiculous and exaggerated
Which vocabulary word completes this sentence CORRECTLY?
When Mr. Klein realized that his true identity was revealed, he found himself in an interesting _______________. (1 point)
Which of the following sentences uses capitalization CORRECTLY? (1 point)
I just read O. Henry's short story “The gift of the Magi.”
I just read O. Henry's short Story “The gift of the Magi.”
I just read O. Henry's short story “The Gift of the Magi.”***
I just read O. Henry's short story “The Gift Of the Magi.”
Which of the following sentences displays the CORRECT use of punctuation? (1 point)
Leonardo da Vinci, inventor, painter, and poet is considered a true genius.
Leonardo da Vinci (inventor, painter, and poet) is considered a true genius.
Leonardo da Vinci, inventor, painter, and poet, is considered a true genius.
Leonardo da Vinci—inventor, painter, and poet—is considered a true genius.***
What connotation is attributed to the “parlor generals” in the following lines from “To Be of Use”?
[people] who are not parlor generals and field deserters / but move in a common rhythm / when the food must come in or the fire be put out. (1 point)
- English! - Help! - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, June 3, 2014 at 11:59am
This looks like a test for Connections.
1 and 2 -- right
3 - 6 -- I don't know
7 -- right
8 -- wrong
9 -- I don't know
10 -- wrong
The rest are right.
- English! - Help! - J.J, Saturday, May 23, 2015 at 12:17pm
1,2,3,6,7,10,11,12,13,14,and 15 are correct.
(4,5,8 and 9 I don't have)
- English! - Help! - twiddles, Monday, May 16, 2016 at 9:06pm
are these right by any chance
- English! - Help! - jadore, Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 1:08am
4 is a , 5 is b , 8 is c , and 9 is c. Just took it and got those 4 wrong
- English! - Help! - MewMew, Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 11:57am
As of 12pm 5/17/2016
In order from 1-15
- English! - Help! - Gery, Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 12:27pm
MewMew is correct ^ thanks a ton!
- English! - Help! - MewMew, Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 4:58pm
- English! - Help! - KKPB123, Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 6:07pm
MewMew is right! THanks! got 100% on the test
- English! - Help! - Honors girl, Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 1:57pm
2 of the answers are wrong
- English! - Help! - *****, Friday, May 20, 2016 at 10:24am
Number 8 and 9 are both c.
- English! - Help! - Anonymous, Monday, May 23, 2016 at 3:07pm
- English! - Help! - Kya, Wednesday, May 25, 2016 at 11:50am
Thanks MewMew, I got 100%!!!!:)
- English! - Help! - haylee, Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 2:48pm
omg! MewMew thank you! I got 100%! :D
- English! - Help! - Kimberly, Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 1:53pm
Everyone is say they got a hundred but I am confused. 8 and 9 both look like they should C. For example problem 9 in The Gift of the Magi, the author is compassionate and ironic. He is not condescending? Yet, everyone is say they got a 100 with the answers b and a. Anyone have any clarifications on this
- English! - Help! - SkatingDJ, Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 7:13pm
NO, KIMBERLY IS CORRECT. PLEASE BELIEVE ME. 8 AND 9 IS C. I JUST TOOK IT AND GOT 13/15!!!!!
- English! - Help! - Chan, Saturday, June 4, 2016 at 6:00am
Wrong, Mew is right. If your questions match this post
- English! - Help! - Helper, Monday, June 6, 2016 at 9:08pm
i just got 13/15! 8 and 9 should've been c.
- English! - Help! - Anonymous, Tuesday, June 7, 2016 at 1:06pm
I got 13/15
8 IS B
9 IS A
- English! - Help! - Carrick Remillard, Monday, June 13, 2016 at 6:55pm
What has value quiz only!
15/15=100% correct(most recent quiz)
- English! - Help! - Jeff, Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 3:33am
So which answers are correct?
- English! - Help! - Michael F'in Bay, Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 8:39am
Carrick's answers are correct.
- English! - Help! - rose, Thursday, December 29, 2016 at 1:29pm
8. is b surprise endings and 9 is a the necklace
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - In which of the following besides the irony in the short story "The ...
- English - Would Della from Gift of the Magi be a round and static character?
- English - What does the story "The Gift of the Magi" say about material ...
- English - in which of the following resides the irony in the short stories the ...
- English - Has anyone here read the Gift of the Magi? I want some confirmation on...
- English - the tell tale heart - Could you please find answers to these questions...
- grammar - ( The Gift of the Magi ) is O.Henry's most famous short story. should ...
- Finance - Suppose that a company decides to make an annual gift to fund ...
- english - In "Why, You Reckon?" what argument does the other man use to convince...
- English - I forgot to include the following statements. I really hope you can ...