Posted by Lina on Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 2:02pm.
A monument consists of two cubical blocks of granite, the smaller resting on the larger. The total height of the monument is 5 feet, and the area of the exposed surface is 61 square feet. Find the dimensions of the blocks.
Help please>.< Thank you in advance!
- Math - Reiny, Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 2:45pm
length of side of the larger --- x
length of side of the smaller -- y
x+y = 5
So what do we see?
We see 4 side faces of the larger = 4x^2
we see 4 side faces of the smaller = 4y^2
If we look straight down, we see a small face on top of the large face exposing the edge of the large face not covered by the smaller cube.
But isn't that just equal to the surface area of the large top?
so 5x^2 + 4y^2 = 61
from x+y=5 ---> y = 5-x
5x^2 + 4(25-10x+x^2) = 61
5x^2 + 100 - 40x + 4x^2 = 61
9x^2 -40x + 39=0
(x-3)(9x-13) = 0
x = 3 or x = 13/9
the blocks could be 3ft for the larger, and 2 ft on each side for the smaller
the larger be have a side of 32/9 and the smaller 13/9 ft
- Math - Lina, Sunday, June 1, 2014 at 4:15pm
can you provide a check for the answers?
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- early trig - A monument stands on level ground. The angle of elevation of the ...
- PHYSICS - explorers in the jungle find an ancient monument in the shape of a ...
- Math - Mr. Hemley stands next to the Illinois Centennial Monument at Logan ...
- geometry - Marc is visiting washington dc he wants to know the height of the ...
- Algebra - A surveyor is standing 115 feet from the base of the Washington ...
- Math - Jack is standing next to a monument in the city square. His shadow is 18 ...
- math - The Washington Monument is the tallest structure in Washington D.C. At ...
- math trig - A TOWER AND A MONUMENT STAND ON A LEVEL PLANE.THE ANGLES OF ...
- math - mr.hemley stands next to the Illionis centennial monument at logan square...
- MATH TRIGO-PLSSS ANSWER CLEARLY COZ IM VERY LOW IN - A TOWER AND A MONUMENT ...