Posted by sushil on Monday, May 26, 2014 at 8:45pm.
what valency ?how can we find valency?explain.
- science - Dr. Wycowickz, Monday, May 26, 2014 at 8:48pm
a measure of its combining power with other atoms when it forms chemical compounds or molecules.
- science - Dr. Wycowickz, Monday, May 26, 2014 at 8:51pm
It's very easy and simple.
1st pt. No. of electrons in last shell should be 8
2Nd Use 2n*n where n is the no. of the shell K,L,M etc. this formula is used to find no. of electrons that can be accommodated in a shell
For ex if you want valency of element with atomic no.34
Then Using the formula
For 1st shell 2*1*1=2
For 2nd shell 2*2*2=8
For 3rd shell 2*3*3=18
Here's the trick adding the electrons in these shells.=28 And the no. left is 6
So as we know we need 8 electrons in last shell so, 2 electrons are less so the valency is -2
if the atomic no.were 36 it would be a noble gas valency=0, 37 then a valency =+1
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - I have to draw Lewis structures for hydrogen cyanide and cyanogen ...
- science - what is the valency of sodium
- chemistry - Everything is neutral. Touch a table, a chair, a desk, a tree, and ...
- ununhexium - What is the highest fluride of Uuh? Here is a web site for the ...
- chemistry - What is the valency and outer most electrons in scandium to zinc?
- chemistry - What is the valency of selenium in five membered ring system?
- chemistry - please help.....i want to know the metals that have atomic mass less...
- chemistry - Hi, can you tell me what the valency of Aluminium and Selenium? is ...
- chemistry - what are the valences expected in unuhexium? the outer is 7s2 7p4 ...
- chemistry - how to draw atomic structure for elements from scandium to zinc ?and...