Posted by Durga on Monday, May 12, 2014 at 11:16pm.
1. A sprinter finishes the race with a velocity of 8.9 m/s. the sprinter accelerated to a stop at a rate of -2.7 m/s2. how long did it take the sprinter to come to a stop?
2. A cycllist starts from rest & reaches a velocity of 18 m/s southwest in 3.8 seconds. what was the cyclists acceleration?
3. a UFO is flying at a velocity of 45 m/s (E). if 5.9 seconds later it's velocity was 35 m/s (W) what was its acceleration? what assumption did you make?
4. a motorcycle & rider start from rest and reach a velocity of 50 km/h (E) in 2.7 seconds. what was the acceleration of the motorcycle in m/s2?
1. I don't get how to do it
2. 4.73 m/s2 (SW)
3. -1.69 m/s2 EW
4. 19.2 m/s2
I'm not sure i did these correctly so please help
- Acceleration physics - Steve, Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 6:18am
Keep track of the units. We want time, which is (m/s) / (m/s^2)
SO, divide the change in velocity by the acceleration used:
-8.9 m/s divided by -2.7 m/s^2 = 3.30 s
The velocity change by 80 m/s in the W direction. This change took 5.9 seconds, so assuming constant acceleration, we have
80/5.9 = 13.56 m/s W
#4 the acceleration is
50/2.7 km/hr/s = 18.518 km/hr/s
But 1 km/hr = 1000/3600 m/s = 0.2777 m/s
So, 18.518 km/hr/s = 5.14 m/s^2
- Acceleration physics - Durga, Tuesday, May 13, 2014 at 10:16am
OMG you r a life saver thank u so much! God bless thank u!!!!
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - At the instant a race began, a 89.1 kg sprinter exerted a force of ...
- college physics - A sprinter can reach a speed of 9.0 m/s in 1.0 s. If the ...
- Physics - A sprinter accelerates at 4 m/s2 for 3 seconds, and then runs the rest...
- physics - A sprinter can reach a speed of 12 m/s in 0.96 s. If the sprinterís ...
- physics - in a 100m race, 2 sprinters finish at the same time of 10.2 seconds, ...
- physics - At the instant a race began, a 74.0 kg sprinter exerted a force of 850...
- physics - A sprinter mass 72 kg runs the 50 meter dash in 8.35 s. Assume that ...
- Physics - An olympic sprinter can run 100yd in 9.0s. At the same rate, how long ...
- Physics - A particular sprinter reaches a horizontal acceleration of 13.3 m/s2 ...
- Physics - A 65 kg sprinter completes a 100 m race in 9.83 s. Calculate the ...