Posted by Christopher on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 10:23pm.
There are three times as many people in the psychology class as in the art history class. there are 16 more people in the algebra class then the art history class The total enrollment of the three classes is 86. How many students are enrolled in each class?.
So I know my equation involves 3, 16 and 8 . So am I multiplying and also dividing as well as subtracting?
- Algebra - Christopher, Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 10:29pm
Oops I meant to say 86.
- Algebra - Steve, Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 12:13pm
call the classes p,h,a. The clues are:
p = 3h
a = h+16
p+a+h = 86
now start eliminating values:
p = 3h, so
3h+a+h = 86
a = h+16, so
3h + h+16 + h = 86
5h+16 = 86
5h = 70
h = 14
so, there are
14 art history students
42 psychology students
30 algebra students
Answer this Question
- Math - There are three times as many people in the psychology class as in the ...
- math - In a local school 34 students are enrolled in a math class, 85 are ...
- Math - The beginning tennis class has twice as many students as the advanced ...
- Math - There are 20 students in Mark's homeroom class. Ten percent of the ...
- algebra... - In a school, there are 4 more students in Class A than in Class B, ...
- Math - More than 18'students in an algebra class pass the first test. This is ...
- Math - There Is 3/4 Of Class 218 Going To Art And 1/8 Going To Gym. The Rest Of ...
- pre algebra - the ratio of boys to girls in an art class is 3.5. there are 12 ...
- art history - can someone please help me I don't know how to make a thesis ...
- algebra - Classes A and B have 35 students each. If seven girls shift from class...