Posted by Christopher on Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 10:23pm.
There are three times as many people in the psychology class as in the art history class. there are 16 more people in the algebra class then the art history class The total enrollment of the three classes is 86. How many students are enrolled in each class?.
So I know my equation involves 3, 16 and 8 . So am I multiplying and also dividing as well as subtracting?
- Algebra - Christopher, Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 10:29pm
Oops I meant to say 86.
- Algebra - Steve, Thursday, May 8, 2014 at 12:13pm
call the classes p,h,a. The clues are:
p = 3h
a = h+16
p+a+h = 86
now start eliminating values:
p = 3h, so
3h+a+h = 86
a = h+16, so
3h + h+16 + h = 86
5h+16 = 86
5h = 70
h = 14
so, there are
14 art history students
42 psychology students
30 algebra students
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - There are three times as many people in the psychology class as in the ...
- Algebra - At Central High School, the sophomore class has 60 more students than ...
- math - In a local school 34 students are enrolled in a math class, 85 are ...
- Math - The beginning tennis class has twice as many students as the advanced ...
- Math - There are 20 students in Mark's homeroom class. Ten percent of the ...
- algebra... - In a school, there are 4 more students in Class A than in Class B, ...
- Math - More than 18'students in an algebra class pass the first test. This is ...
- Math - There Is 3/4 Of Class 218 Going To Art And 1/8 Going To Gym. The Rest Of ...
- Art - Think about how different class systems of people are represented during ...
- pre algebra - the ratio of boys to girls in an art class is 3.5. there are 12 ...