Posted by Peeps on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:14pm.
Ne [verb] pas
N' [verb beginning with a vowel] pas
Why would habite have a n' in front of it (n'habite pas), not Ne habite pas? H is not a vowel (right)? Just asking because I got it wrong on a test when I put Ne habite pas.
French - Peeps, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:20pm
Is it because habite is pronounced with out the h?
French - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:21pm
The French don't sound the h, so it's treated as a voiceless vowel at the beginning of a word.
French - Peeps, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:23pm
Ohh, ok thanks Ms. Sue.
French - Ms. Sue, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:30pm
You're welcome, Peeps.
French - SraJMcGin, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:44pm
There are actually two "h's" in French. In th e dictionary, when you see an asterisk (*) it means that that is a "voiced/sounded" h. Ordinarily, the "h" is unvoiced/unsounded, as Ms. Sue explained. Then the first sound you hear is the "vowel" after it; in this case it the "a" which is why it is je n'habite pas BUT hacher* = to grind = je ne hache pas.
Sra (aka Mme)
French - Peeps, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:49pm
Ok thanks for helping me understand about the letter h in French SraJMcGin :). I wonder why my French teacher didn't mention this before.
French - SraJMcGin, Sunday, May 4, 2014 at 2:11am
It could depend upon your level of French, but that was an excellent question, showing you notice things!
Sra (aka Mme)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- French 1 - I am trying this again. Incomplete french say that the people do not...
- French for Mischa - PRESENT TENSE OF REGULAR -ER VERBS: NEGATIVE AND NEGATIVE ...
- French #2 - Can someone please check my work? The following people are not ...
- French - I have to choose 5 health concerns, and write 2 sentences for each one ...
- FRENCH - 1) Since it is "je t'ai aimé" would the negation be "je ne t'ai pas aim...
- French - Can someone please proofread my paragraph? Je m'appelle Larry. J'ai ...
- French - Can someone proofread my paragraph? Bonjour, Je m'appelle Larry. J'ai ...
- French - How would you say "if we buy" in french? I looked it up in my ...
- French - Would the following sentence " Anne ne la ferme pas" be turned into a ...
- french - Can someone help me with this sentence? Quelquefois, je me suis senti ...