Posted by Bae on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 8:25pm.
Integrate the following:
a. Integral from 0 to pi (sin^2)(3x)dx
b. Integral of (x^2)/((x^2 - 4)^3/2)
- Calc 2 - Reiny, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:44pm
using cos 2A = 1 - 2sin^2 A
cos 6x = 1 - 2sin^2 (3x)
sin^2 3x = 1/2 - (1/2) cos 6x
so integral sin^2 3x = (1/2)x - (1/12)sin(6x)
Take it from there, I will let you do the substitution and evaluation
- Calc 2 - Reiny, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9:56pm
tried integration by parts on the 2nd, but it got messy, probably made an error
Gave up and used Wolfram with results of
log(2(√(x^2-4) + x)) - x/√(x^2-4) + C
tested it and got the original back after differentiating it
- Calc 2 - bobpursley, Friday, May 2, 2014 at 10:00pm
I tried change of variables (trig functions) on number 2, and got messy also, gave up.
- Calc 2 - Steve, Saturday, May 3, 2014 at 12:14am
∫(x^2)/((x^2 - 4)^3/2 dx
x = 2coshθ
dx = 2sinhθ dθ
x^2-4 = 4sinh^2θ
∫4cosh^2θ/8sinh^3θ 2sinhθ dθ
Keeping in mind that
arccoshθ = log(z+√(z^2-1))
I think wolfram's answer is less mysterious.
Just as trig substitutions are your friend, so are the hyperbolic functions.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- calc - find integral using table of integrals ) integral sin^4xdx this the ...
- Integral - That's the same as the integral of sin^2 x dx. Use integration by ...
- Calc 121 - How do you integrate using substitution: the integral from 1 to 3 of...
- Math/Calculus - How would I integrate the following by parts: Integral of: (x^2...
- calc asap! - can you help me get started on this integral by parts? 4 S sqrt(t) ...
- Calculus II/III - A. Find the integral of the following function. Integral of (x...
- Quick calc question - If f(x) and g(x) are continuous on [a, b], which one of ...
- Calculus II - Integrate using integration by parts (integral) (5-x) e^3x u = 5-x...
- Integration by Parts - integral from 0 to 2pi of isin(t)e^(it)dt. I know my ...
- calc - how do you start this problem: integral of xe^(-2x) There are two ways: 1...